1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 XP OS on one PC-different drives

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by tgunn2760, Jun 8, 2014.

1. tgunn2760

tgunn2760 Member

OK, so I guess I double-click on setup.exe and it will do the rest?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yes

3. tgunn2760

tgunn2760 Member

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  4. ddp

which are you booting from, pro or home because it looks like pro & you have to boot from home to install the drivers for home?

5. tgunn2760

tgunn2760 Member

When I boot up it shows both drives/OS and I choose which one to go into by using the down arrow and then enter

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You need to boot to the OS you want update or install too

7. tgunn2760

tgunn2760 Member

Do I delete the old chipset and install the one I downloaded for Asus A8N SLI?

8. ddp

boot off the home drive & install the chipset onto it not the pro as that works already.

9. tgunn2760

tgunn2760 Member

There is a chipset installed on the Home drive, I attached a cap screen a few messages back-do I delete that and install the one you had me download?

10. ddp

the chipset is to get your netcard & maybe soundcard online.

11. tgunn2760

tgunn2760 Member

I am lost. In the ethernet folder of chipset already installed on Home Drive F there is a folder named NAM, which contains
    NAMSetup.exe, what is it?

If I doubleclick on setup.exe in the WINXP chipset folder, what will it install? I would have to be booted into Drive F-XP Home to do this, but...see question below...

Do I need to delete all files on XP Home shown on the cap screen a few messages back except for WINDOWS, DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS and PROGRAM FILES, and then install the WINXP chipset I downloaded?

12. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

i said it in my last post which is at top of page 2,in simpler terms both xp's you have installed are separate from one another,so if there is no chipset installed to xp home then boot into it then install the chipset file you downloaded from the web.Once unpacked if for some reason it doesn't get Ethernet working it may need to be manually executed,if it won't for whatever reason & that includes using add new hardware in control panel then do the following.

using device manager make a note of what has yellow mark next to it

reboot machine so you are now in xp pro,device manager will provide make & model of missing devices in xp home,download the drivers for them direct from asus or from original manufacturer & install into xp home by booting back to xp home & installing,you understand now ? you want to update or install something in a particular windows operating system you need to boot into it first,this goes for any OS

13. tgunn2760

tgunn2760 Member

Yes, I get it, but I seem to already have a chipset installed on XP Home and do not know where it came from. It could not be from Pro, because I formatted the drive that the Home edition is on.

I attached a screen cap a few replies back if you want to have a look, should I delete everything except Windows, Program Files and Documents and Settings?

Does it matter where the chipset folder is stored before it is installed? It is now on an external drive, should I move it to Drive F, the Home XP drive, and install it there?

I am concerned because the files installed on Drive F that look like a chipset installation are from 2007, and I cannot figure out how that happened since I formatted the drive last year before installing XP Home from a disc

14. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

There's no way of knowing why those chipset files are there,they may have been placed there when unpacking for install by xp pro,i wouldn't expect to see those files loose like that,i would've thought they'd be in their own folder.

The chipset can be overwritten if need be,it would be best to install from xp home desktop,double clicking the zip should decompress & place files in a folder where docs & windows folder are,hopefully not loose like they are now,if it does place them in their own folder you can delete the loose files

however before doing so i'd recommend creating a backup image of xp home

15. tgunn2760

tgunn2760 Member

How do I create a backup image of XP home and what would that do?
    Still cannot figure out where those files came from, I hope they are not from the XP Pro
    chipset insallation that should be on Drive C?
    Should the installed chipset files show anywhere on any drive?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  16. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

backup image will make a copy of whatever files are on a partition you want to save before making changes,restoring the image back will revert you back to before anything was done prior to those changes except all files will be replaced with originals unlike system restore

if pro was installed then chipset installed before xp home was installed you can assume that the chipset files in home partition were placed there when you installed chipset for home & you've just forgotten,by rights if chipset wasn't installed to xp home you would have numerous yellow exclamation marks in device manager for sound,ethernet,onboard graphics & possibly usb,cd & dvd drives etc.

personally i'd place those loose files in a folder then chuck em in the recycle bin for storage,reboot & reinstall chipset to home & not worry about where they came from as they can't stop xp pro or home from booting.Once installed reboot to pro see if any exclamations appear if not boot to home,if any exclamations appear use xp pro device manager to get make & model of any missing drivers

You also need to remember you can't move installed programs from xp pro to home,so any programs your hoping to keep, will require re-installation in which case your better off like ddp said earlier, keep xp pro then install win 7 along side it,which is how it's normally done,unless your selling your copy of win xp pro your better off leaving it where it is & use xp home on another machine that has no OS,an even better option place win 7 on a separate slave hdd altogether

download link to easeus todo backup, version 5.5 i will leave it here for a few days then delete the link.never update it or you'll loose the ability to select medium compression,to backup xp home you'll need to select data backup file,folder/partition,in backup options at bottom of next window after cliking on data backup select medium in compression option,be sure to select location to store image or i will go to it's pre determined place,external hdd would be best & not the same hdd xp home resides on
    https://mega.co.nz/#!sNlCBSTK!Hi2hMDgYerp0wPOBYFAhCXMlxXDj0WujzfQ2VQmQvVg

Ketola likes this.
  17. ChappyTTV

ChappyTTV Member

I've read (skimmed actually) thru most of the replies and I didn't see where anyone caught this, but NO..that will NOT work! Any programs you want on the other copy of the OS have to be installed, copying does not install the program. You also need the program installer for this, not just the program .exe file.

I don't know if this thread is still active or not but I just wanted to make sure you knew this.

18. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

my last post directly above yours,4th paragraph down :p

19. ddp

or my 3rd post which is post #6 "most of the time installed program files cannot be copied over to another drive & still work because when installed, files for that program are spread out thru windows & registry."

20. ChappyTTV

ChappyTTV Member

Well yah...when you write a follow up to War & Peace on an Interwebz forum, you can't expect people with the attention span of a goldfish to read it all now can you...:eek:

Ok, ok, damn you all!! Rub it in and leave it to marinade overnight why doncha :rolleyes:
    hahaha

I really didn't think something so simple would slide past you guys...and I DID say I "skimmed" after all ;)

EDIT- I saw what you did there, you guys went back and edited your darn posts didn't you!!! Can't fool this old fool

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014