1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20 year Membership

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Sophocles, Mar 7, 2023.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

does not like any of my cats at all but sure does look like you tho especially with those fangs.

3. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Do you have booklets for nuclear powered US Navy ships?

4. ddp

no nuke powered warships as mostly ww2 with some cold war ships.

5. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I see.

6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I get the strangest feeling I'm the only one here without an arsebook account

7. ddp

nope as I don't.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  9. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

10. ddp

server modules as I have 1 somewhat similar to top module? not connected at the moment.

11. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

It's all one big kubernetes cluster. Out of the frame those are sitting on 3 more Z420's like the ones in the background that make up my gaming vm. Nothing like 20 hyperthreaded cores and a pair of K80's for running Space Engineers.. Only drawback is I can only passthrough one core on each K80 so.. twin makes 24g of vram.. I guess that's enough?

I have another twin opteron out of the pic that's on the way to being a game server so a few of us can all play together without having to mess with Steam accounts and crap like that..

104 cores in the racks and another 50 in the 420's.. all topped off with a tasty little i7 quad to talk to everything

I can't be bothered to count up the ram.. 1TB in the C6145, 256 in the 360.. and the others have I think 128 each though one may only have 64.. so it must be getting on for a total around 2tb's of ram

As for the amount of drive space.. I'm not even going there.. I have a bad habit of buying up job lots of 2tb enterprise sas drives when they come up cheap..

It's all out over the holidays for a good dust out and spruce up. Normally the rack beasts live under the stairs where they probably annoy next door more than me.

Basically I got fed up waiting for rips to transcode one at a time.. and these days too many people demand crap in 4K..

It's got just a little bit of grunt in there. I normally run ffmpeg with 4 threads (diminishing returns with more tbh) so it's not unusual here to do 24 episodes of an anime series batch in parallel..

All for less than the cost of a high end GPU these days..... and it's cheaper than putting on the heating.

Sophocles likes this.
  12. -Jim-

-Jim- Member

Hi,

Twenty Years ago today (OMG :confused:) I joined this forum. I joined Feb 22, 2004.

Where did the time go? I should get a gold star for having the fewest posts in twenty years:D!

Thanks for having me as a member and allowing me to read this forum all these years. :cool:

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Welcome back! With your post count I would think you should at least get a bronze colored star.

If you add three more posts you will have averaged 1 a year. :D

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    -Jim- likes this.
  14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Come on all you lurkers, we know you're out there dying to chime in to let us know if you're still alive, but it's okay to drop in and let us know that you're now undead. So living or undead, pop in a say hello, otherwise ddp will have to join Maytag. :D

-Jim- likes this.
  15. attar

attar Senior member

I know I haven't posted for a while, mainly because my nose was out of joint because of a
    perceived slight by a moderator who must remain nameless.
    I can't remember what the slight was.

The following are actual facts that I have collected from many trusted sites on the interweb.

1.In the UK, up until the nineteen-twenties, mens obituary notices listed the deceased hat size.

2.The original emblem on the flag of the Dominican Republic, sported a reproduction of a
    1930's style Westinghouse ice box.

3. In 1972, Betty Crocker cake mixes listed 'Gay Pheromones' in the ingrediants.

4. The original 'Ice bucket challenge' was started as a whimsical diversion by the White Star
    shipping line in 1911, however after the Titanic debacle when 1517 passengers elected to
    take the challenge and lost, the event was suspended in 1912, only to be revived 100 years later.

5. The famed 'Shroud of Turin' is not kept in the Vatican.It's actually on permanent display
    at 'Zia Sophia's Custom Cleaning and Laundry' in Naples due to an unfortunate series of intructions by a novice nun (Sister Bertrille).

6. The traditional Scottish 'Haggis' has long been exposed as an elaborate hoax foisted on
    the impressionable trusting souls that believe anything they read on the interweb: Sheep
    lungs, livers, and eyeballs - pshaw.

16. ddp

I didn't do it, I don't think.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

So then you weren't waiting until 2025 to post? The question is are you living or are you undead? :D

18. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Well that's a first. Must be strange having desires to become a 1930's gasoline engine powered washing machine.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

attar
    ddp
    And nearly a month later attar remains silent. Did he or didn't he?;)