1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 WORLD CUP

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by PeterG969, Jun 4, 2006.

1. matt72

matt72 Regular member

Obviously I would have went there if in fact I was familiar with the workings of soccer and how the whole concept is put together. Unlike alot of other sports there is no one association who handles teams from multiple countries until the World Cup as far as I know. If you did not understand what I was asking then keep your text to yourself.

@mikeeagle,

Thank you I am in the US so am not familiar with the international sport of soccer rules. Just caught a game (well highlights) and it seemed interesting so thought I would post here for some info.

2. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Hey MATT, dont fret to much about about mitchb responce, that was kind of rude, most people here at AD are not like that, most people forget that anybody's first questions about something they are not familiar with can seem stupid to others, in other words we were all stupid in the beggining one time or another.

3. PeterG969

PeterG969 Regular member

yeah FredBun good advice its like you go into the intel vs amd thread and ask a question and everybody thinks ure an ass.
    btw why isn't this thread stickied?

4. matt72

matt72 Regular member

@FredBun,

I have been around AD for awhile so it didn't bother me as much as it might have others. Unfortunately I think he failed to realize I was asking specific things google did not answer and therefore assumed I knew about fifa. Well I'll let the mods address the issue while I'm looking for some more info. I was never aware soccer was exciting to watch on an international level.

5. packman00

packman00 Regular member

Portugal lost. Can't really say i'm surprised, i expected France to win, should be a great final!

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Mitchbb, got a week ban for that stunt. when & if you come back use your brain 1st before using your mouth, other words be civil to other members or you'll get banned longer than permanent. your choice!

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Harumph! Harumph!

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Can I join in on the Harumphs Neph?

A la Blazing Saddles me thinks!

9. tranquash

tranquash Regular member

A red card for rudeness.

Now the long wait for Sunday. It promises to be a good game, and France seems to be recovering confidence.

Germany for the third?? I think so.

Greets!!!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  10. Phyco_Can

Phyco_Can Guest

srry guys ...just gootta root for my country GO ITALIA!!!!

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You got it my friend :)

Well, it'll be a bunch of ice cold Grolsch and grilled Polish hotdogs for Sunday!!! I thinks it's gonna be a fantastic game :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  12. PeterG969

PeterG969 Regular member

even though france are playing good and i would like to see them win i think italy will win!

13. matt72

matt72 Regular member

Hi,

Okay just getting the hang of this..now if France wins the World Cup how long do they hold onto it? By saying that lets say they somehow go on to lose their 1st 3 games of the season does this affect their standings in the next World Cup or just their rankings within their league? Seems funny to me but watching the American league soccer games versus the World Cup games (friend TIVO'ed them) is the biggest change in action I have seen. Well hope someone will respond cordially to clear this up.

14. tranquash

tranquash Regular member

Matt

They get a hold of the title (World Champs) for 4 years. Losing games in between will afect their ranking only.

15. packman00

packman00 Regular member

I really can't say who's gonna win, Italy has better goaltending, and defense is almost the same (slight edge to Italy), but if Luca Toni and Totti don't start scoring, i think Henry and Zidane will be able to outscore them. I'm really praying that Italy wins though.

16. pyffy

pyffy Regular member

Hi matt
    The world cup is predominately a knock out competition, played by qualifying nations, with the winner being crowned the World Champions and holding the title for four years. It is unlike any countries own league, for example the Premiership in the UK , Serie A in Italy, Bundeslige in Germany and the American soccer league. These leagues are for that countries teams only, a bit like the N.F.L. It is unlike the Baseball World Series which is only open to teams from the USA ( World series? …go figure ;-) but like the World Baseball Classic competition.
    I think this entry in Wikipedia has a lot of info on the World Cup and hopefully answers some of your question….Enjoy the read and keep enjoying the “Beautiful Game”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_World_Cup

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  17. mikeeagle

mikeeagle Member

Hi Matt,

the World Cup is a tournament. If you're into Baseball you might compare it to the World Baseball Classic. http://ww2.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/index.jsp
    The World Cup is played every 4 years and you'll hold that title until the next WC. Infact, it's a title that you have forever. People will talk about their champions for decades ;-) It's the most important title in soccer/football.

In Europe there's the European Championship. The next one is the Euro 2008. It's also played every 4 years. Check out http://www.uefa.com/index.html , the official site of the European Football Association. That tournament has become very important, too. The best 16 European teams participate in it. There are similar tournaments in South America, Africa and Asia that I know of.

In all these tournaments it's about your country and that makes it so special!

But your everyday life as a football fan is your national league. Important leagues are in: England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France. In these leagues you usually have 18 or 20 teams. They play each other at home and away. The team with the most points will win the championship. No playoffs there. The worst teams have to go down to the second league/division.

Then you'll have the National Cups. All organized teams/clubs participate. They are played in playoff-modus. Usually best of one. It's a nice bonus to the national leagues. And you can sometimes see a 3rd of even 4th league team beat a major league team.

Than you'll have international club competition. Check out the Champions League and the UEFA Cup on the UEFA site above. The Champions League title is the most important title in club football. Like the NFL, NBA or NHLs Stanley Cup.

So, as you can see: a lot of titles, tournaments and fun!

18. mitch13

mitch13 Member

hey mat72
    sorry i was a little harsh there . I feel bad know so if u have anymore question im open to answer them. sorry.

19. masesaco

masesaco Regular member

So....we lost against France, but listen carefuly! This is not over yet.
    Right now I´m going to pick up my ps2 and my "FIFA 06" and France will pay for that. My revenge will be terrible. Beware!!

20. tranquash

tranquash Regular member

that's exactly what my son did when Brazil got kicked-out. lol