1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

200gb HD limited to 137gb

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by kiwi1, Aug 12, 2007.

1. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Hi, I've installed a WD2000JS SATA hard drive in my computer after the old IDE one gave up. Its 200 gigs in size and the bios sees it as 190 somthing gigs which about right I suppose.
    The problem I have is when I set up the drive with the bootable datalife tools disc it forced me to limit the size to 137gb incase windows couldnt drive it properly, sorry I dont remember the exact message I got as it was 5am before I finally got xp to recongnise and install on my SATA HD and I was half asleep.
    Anyways now that everything is up and running (sp2 and all the updates) I want to know what I have to do to make use of the other 63gb's. Not that I will ever use them but it does seem stupid to me to pay for 200gb's and only have access to 137.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  2. john179

john179 Active member

Sounds like you need to update your bios on your motherboard as the bios should show the correct size and as you have sp2 installed it would detect almost the correct size.Decimal versus binary is part of the reason you don't always get the full size as windows canculates diffrently than the way the suppliers set these drives up.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A 200GB should be around 186 in windows. It showing as 137 means you formatted it before you had SP2, which will limit the size. If you go to disk management (Start->Run and type diskmgmt.msc) you should see the other 49GB as unallocated space, in which case you can format that as an additional partition.

4. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Hi john, yes there is a newer bios version for my ABIT NF7-S v2.0 moboard but I dont really want to flash unless its really nesscesary.
    The bios posts this right after the 'hit F4 for raid config' screen:
    0 WDC WD2000JS-00NCB7 190782MB

That my HD model and I think that size is right for a 200gb HD in a formated state (please correct me if I'm wrong)
    I think the prob is that datalife tools has created a 137gb partition and is ignoring the rest. Can I expand that partition now that sp2 is installed?
    I will flash my bios if I have to, I'm just a little nervous about something going wrong.

5. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

sammorris thanks your right, yes the bootable disc preped the HD before the install.
    This is what I'm about to do, stop me if I'm wrong: right click the unallocated space in disk management and select new partion then select it as an extended partion. is that right?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yes that's correct.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  7. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Thanks, formating now. Maybe I'll put some linux on there

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You could if you like, but if you do that, you'll have to format that partition using FAT32, I don't think Linux can read NTFS.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

another option if have a floppy drive & a win98 or winme bootdisk is to delete the non-dos partition(ntfs) & make a new partition for the whole size of the drive of 200gig. i've done that upto 350gig so far as is my preference & can always be converted to ntfs if wanted to.

10. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

ddp, I have a floppy drive I can reinstall and a win98 bootdisk. My xp cd is an upgrade for win98. Just out of curiousity, could I do that without harming my OS?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That should work.