1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20hrs l8r... A big file of garble

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by mikerd, Jun 18, 2002.

1. mikerd

mikerd Member

Hi all... It was with much anticipation that I began following the guide. Carefully went through all the steps (checked my list twice *g*). I seem to have a problem with the last step. I'm using the Divx5Pro codec.

1) Each pass takes about 10hrs. This is on a fairly fast 1.2Ghz AMD with 512MB Ram and enough hard-drive space

2) The end result is a file of the right size, but full of pseudo-still frames. The audio plays perfectly, but the video plays a picture, then a bunch of little cube shaped pics get all jumbled up, then a few seconds later another full frame a bit jumbled, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions that might fix either of the problems? It's not like I can just randomly tweak the parameters when each try takes 20hrs.

THANKS!!

2. Templar79

Templar79 Member

Yeah, I just followed the same guide and it took me roughly 18-20 hours to complete it. The audio was fine, but there's something wrong with the picture. It'll freeze once in awhile and certain parts of the picture will become jagged. It happens when there is movement of an object.

Here is a little bit of detail as to what I did. I'm trying to rip the movie Conan: The Barbarian. When I used DVD2AVI, it told me that it was FILM (as I understand is NTSC), progressive, and 29.97fps (but I am treating it as 23.97fps because it said FILM, and so, I skipped the Inverse Telecine). When I used DV-Tool, I put in 127mins. 0sec. for the time. The actual length of the movie was 2h 6min 20 sec. I did 160kB MP3 for audio and used 1390MB for storage media as I am planning on burning to 2 700MB CD-Rs. My calculated bitrate turned out to be 1334. The color was teal rather than green. BTW, what do the different colors for the bitrate mean? The guide says green, so is there anything wrong with having a bitrate as high as 1334? I skipped the deinterlace portion in Virtualdub since it told me progressive in DVD2AVI. During the resize portion, I resized it to 640 x 480 even though the guide said to resize it to 640 x 360 for 2.35:1 movies, which Conan IS. By resizing to 640 x 360, I did a SHOW PREVIEW, and the picture seemed squashed down, so I did 640 x 480 and it looked perfect. I did everything else according to the guide and double checked everything. Hopefully, someone can tell me something about my problem.

So if anyone knows what's wrong, please let me know. Suggestions are welcome. You're right, mikerd, it takes WAY too long to just play around and HOPE that it comes out right.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2002
  3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Most common reasons for problems with video are related to the fact that not many people understand, even that we tried to put it pretty damn clearly, that both width and height HAVE TO be multiplies of 16 when they go into DivX (== after all the filters, including resize and crop, have been applied to the video), otherwise DivX will either crash or cause extremely weird issues with the video quality.

4. Templar79

Templar79 Member

Yes, you were very clear that it has to be a multiple of 16. I DID use multiples of 16. 640 is a multiple of 16. 480 is a multiple of 16. After I cropped the video, the file was 640 x 304. 304 is ALSO a multiple of 16. So this resolution issue is definitely not the problem for me.

I've been going through it again, and I find that after I rip the .vob file from the DVD, and play the file using F5 on DVD2AVI, those strange video problems even show up there. I've used both versions of DVD2AVI(1.86 and 1.76). (The video problem I will try to explain it more clearly: The picture is generally solid when the picture is still or there is very little movement/action in the scene. But when people start moving or the action picks up, the video appears strange. This can best be described as horizontal black lines appearing in the moving object; kind of like interlacing/noninterlacing?) The .vob file plays perfectly when I use WinDVD to play the file though. So I really think the issue is with DVD2AVI. Can you help me out? Thanks.

Addition:

I am now POSITIVE that this is an interlacing problem. I was browsing Nicky Pages, and I found some video clips shown that have the same problems I'm having. The weird thing is that DVD2AVI says that the source .vob file is progressive and not interlaced, yet the video is still suffering from some kind of interlacing problem. If you know of a quick solution to this, please let me know.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2002
  5. mikerd

mikerd Member

Thanks Templar. At least I know I'm not the only one getting LONG waiting periods. I'm not sure how people with worse systems say they're getting 1-1/4 hrs per 60 minutes. Anyways...

1) I DID use the Inverse Telecine, even though I had the same stats as you (FILM 29), only because it seemed right. The guide's a little confusing on that point.

2) I got mine to work!! I scrapped the PRO version and went down to regular 5.02 divx and that seemed to do the trick. Didn't speed it up, but it got me a viewable end product. I'm going to try to backup my other DVD tonight and we'll see if I'm lucky twice. So if you're not using 5.02 you might want to make sure you do.

Other than that, I'm just a newbie myself. Hopefully DrD will have some insight for you. *G*

M.

6. indie665

indie665 Guest

open the pipeline for performance. i'm using a P3 722 mh. virtual dub has a performance tab. just move all the slider to the right for faster times. it helps to go to status window and select higher in priority. and it also helps to do nothing on your computer.

7. Templar79

Templar79 Member

Would moving all the sliders in the performance tab to the right have any negative effects on the quality of the encode? How much can that speed up the encode if it normally takes me around 17 hours to encode a 2 hour movie onto two 700MB discs? Would moving the sliders have any negative effects on my computer?

8. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Two issues:

1) If you have cracked/modified 5.x Pro, it will cause some serious crap to the video.

2) DivX5 playback has some issues for frames "pausing", etc but this has nothing to do with the encoding results -- the encoded video is ok, just the playback filter of DivX5 has issues. But if you use FFDShow for playback, this can be avoided.