1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

232 mb = how many GB as iso ?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by holtadit, Jun 15, 2010.

1. holtadit

holtadit Member

I am a 'veteran'user of the program avi2dvd. I pretty much understand everything about it.

Now from my experience a 700 mb movie (avi) which I download from the net will transalte to 4 GB (iso) on a DVD.

I have recntly downloaded a 60 epsiod anime with each episode EXACTLy 232 mb large.

If I convert it to iso I would need something like 13 DVDs.

I want to know :

a) Can I compress the resultant iso file to fit more than just 2 episodes (iso format) on 1 DVD without much loss in quality ?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  2. attar

attar Senior member

It's the running time of the source that decides the size of the output files.
    A typical authoring program would assign the maximum bitrate to a two hour source to maximixe the space on a nominal two hour capacity blank - for longer source material, the bitrate is lowered to the minimum that the software allows.

If you can set the output to 8GB instead of the default, then use the likes of DVD Shrink to compress the image down to 4.3 GB - some say DVD Rebuilder gives better results.

"without much loss in quality" - is a variable that the viewer decides.

3. holtadit

holtadit Member

@attar So to get this clear; convert the avi to iso setting the output for 8 GB instead of 4.7 gb. (I only have 4.7 GB discs BTW)

Then using DVD Shrink reduce the size of the resultant iso image to 4.3 GB ?

Is this correct ?

Thank You for your help.

4. attar

attar Senior member

The point of setting the output image size to the DL disk size (your not burning the image yet) is that many programs won't let you add more than 3 hours to a SD disk.

I believe that DVD shrink defaults to 4.4GB for a SD disk.
    Custom setting it to 4.3GB simply ensures that the burn is not taken too close to the outer edge - the place where many lower quality disks fail - if you use a known quality disk ('Verbatim' brand that says 'Advanced Azo' on the package) you can maximize the output size - but you only burn the output if you preview the results and it is acceptable.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010