1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$2500 Gaming PC

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Bhmack1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah, but it would not sit tight. It kept on coming out! I was so frustrated. It was a customer build and I was running out of time because I had to install the OS and stress test it too(he wanted a OCed CPU)!

Eventually I took the whole damn thing apart and installed the stupid cooler first. The push pins still didn't do a good enough job(I heard it performs MUCH better with the backplate). I got it at 3.5Ghz and around 1.47v with LOAD temps of 65C(Q6600).

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If someone made a proper 120mm cooler they could make a killing...

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well they are proper coolers, they just have some quirks. With the retention bracket I have seen people get GREAT results, and it's not that hard to install.

I think I bled a bit too. lol

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

lmao.
    By proper I mean as easy to install as the freezer 7 Pro, as planted as the Ultra-120s and as powerful as them too. The actual cooler install for the Ultra-120 provided you don't have a silly moment like me is very easy, quick and simple - it's just the fan brackets that are poor - hence the cable ties, string, whatever...

5. DosError

DosError Guest

You want to use 650w for power supply? That's not enough. Change your Power Supply to OCZ GameXStream 850w or more & you'll be fine.

Good Luck to your new PC

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol what a moron...

Go read up on power supplies.

7. Bhmack1

Bhmack1 Member

Do you think 650w will be enough? It seems like it should be. Maybe 750w or 1000w. Money really isn't the issue. Stability and plenty of upgrade room is really what this build is about.

BTW, I haven't given up on the clear case idea. What do you think about this one. I like the 5x 120mm fan slots....

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You'll need to post a link for us to judge! lol

I ran two HD3870s off a Corsair HX 520W with miles of room to spare. HD4850s hardly use any more power, so you could run two of them off a 520 with ease, let alone a 620.

9. Bhmack1

Bhmack1 Member

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

An odd layout, but that case will do fine. Obviously it's really expensive though, so think hard about if you want a clear case that much.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol DosError, what a idiot. A 550VX will be more than sufficient for him. EIGHT HUNDRED FREAKIN WATTS? That's overkill.

I can't tell anything from those clear pictures. It just blends in. Man you WILL REGRET having a clear case. I used to have a TT Armor and it has a HUGE clear sidepanael and I started hating that. I bought a RC-690 primarily because then I can NOT see the inside of my PC.

12. DosError

DosError Guest

550VX? That's only 550w.... And hey what I'm telling him is just a suggestion to adjust more higher the power supply. And for your information I'm not an IDIOT nor MORON. It seems that you're only a KID and NOT a professional mankind. Is that how you treat a new comer in this forum? a Newbie TAG under my username is not a basis to judge a people.

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Fine sorry for calling you an idiot. Ok I'm a Kid, but I do this a lot.

YES, a 550VX. It's all about quality. I will stand by this. A 550VX will EASILY run two 4850s in SLI.

14. DosError

DosError Guest

I didn't say 650w what I'm saying is 850w or higher. 750w is a good idea specially if you want to add more fan. But for sure a water cooler could be fine. But I don't use that because is more risk on it. If you can go back to my previous post you will see the bold 850w suggestion.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Seriously man, now it's come to water cooling? You know the Q9450 does not run hot at all right? He will run out of OC headroom before heat becomes an issue.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, I'm sorry but I'm still calling you an idiot. Whether it says newbie or Afterdawn Addict under your username, the point still stands. You were initially suggesting that for a PC that barely uses 300W under full load that a 600W power supply is insufficient, since you quoted the list that still contained the single 8800GTS card. It doesn't seem like you have any first hand experience of how much power PCs really draw. Even with two HD4850s in the system it will be pushing a little over 400W, from the wall, so the DC output of the system will be more like 360-370W. Think that's too much for a 620W PSU? Let alone a Corsair HX 620W, which can really output almost 700W without making a fuss.
    It's wise to choose a bigger PSU than you need for headroom and reliability purposes, but we have. I think 250W of headroom is plenty.

17. DosError

DosError Guest

Who knows? Q9450 is still a processor & nobody know when it will getting heat. As I've said I'm not using a water cooling because of the risk besides it's a waste of money :)

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Now you're talking a little more sense. Watercooling a Q9450 is a reasonable idea if you're going to overclock the nadgers off it, but under normal circumstances it's fine with air cooling - Abuzar saying 'the Q9450 does not run hot at all' is a little misleading as it still outputs more than any Core 2 Duo, even if you overclock the latter, but it's still more than within the limits of a powerful heatsink.

19. DosError

DosError Guest

I am suggesting a water cooling system because of the title of GAMING PC and I'm presume that he will over clock the speed of processor as what most do.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So? At my LAN party, there are 30-40 gaming PCs, a good 20 of them are overclocked, and several of those are quad cores. I know of only one PC that's watercooled, and it's an Athlon X2, stock. Watercooling does give you an overclocking advantage, but it's not the least bit essential - these people are running close to 3.5Ghz on their Q9450s and Q6600s just using Thermalright's CPU coolers - oh and guess what PSUs they've got? The guy who overclocked his Q9450 to 3.7Ghz (not permanently, his Vcore was too high to risk that) and runs a 9800GTX is using a Corsair HX 620W.