1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2800+ to 3200+, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by otester, Mar 12, 2005.

1. otester

otester Guest

Ive got a:

AMD 2800+ (2.1) Barton
    Crucial 512MBx2 (1GB)
    MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR

is it worth paying £85 for an AMD 3200+ Barton?

if not, should i go for a SK754 3400+?

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

When I make a change to different processors, I usually wait for at least a 600 jump between the two to show any real difference. Otherwise I just hang tight. Since I use Intel chips, I have a 2.26 on my test bench, a 2.8 HT on my wifes Desktop and my PC with a 3.4 with a mild clock to 3.74GHz.

3. madgreek

madgreek Guest

I would just overclock that chip to equal a 3200. Get some arctic silver 5 thermal paste. Get a nice big coolermaster fan. Just increase the fsb to equal the 3200..

4. atitlan

atitlan Member

No. The perceptible difference between the two would be negligible.

If you have not already, try overclocking the 2800+ (be sure to have excellent cooling).

Save your money for an Athlon 64 system, especially the soon-to-come dual core chip series if you really need processing power, e.g. video editing, CAD, 3D modelling.

5. madgreek

madgreek Guest

Hey o,

What motherboard are you using?

6. otester

otester Guest

Yea i used to over clock it but since i reformatted i lost the software, ive got WCPUID, SoftFSB doesnt support my motherboard. Whats the best overcloking software? or can i overclock by changing the CPU voltage, if yes then do i do it in my BIOS settings?

Yes I do have a CoolerMaster Jet7+ for my CPU, 1 extra system fan, 1 power supply, 1 on graphics card and on the motherboard, so im ok for over overclocking

MSI-6570 ATX MAIN BOARD to be exact, ive already told you in first post.

7. madgreek

madgreek Guest

Can you go into the bios of the board and overclock the fsb in 1 mhz increments?

8. otester

otester Guest

In my settings uve got options like this:

100Mhz
    133Mhz
    166MHz (currently on this)
    200Mhz

Could i change this to a more prosise option?

9. madgreek

madgreek Guest

Is there anything there that will let you do it manually to like 185? 200 is way too much... the computer might not post after that. You would have to clear the cmos out

10. otester

otester Guest

nah thats not the problem, it has those 4 options, you cant specifi an exact number.

But, i looked in power management in my bios and found this:

CPU Ratio: x12.5

CPU Vcore: By H/W

You can change the Vcore setting to a specific voltage starting from 1.550v (upwards). wat would my default voltage for my CPU be? (My CPU in first post)

Sould i start from the bottom option and work my way up?

Would a lower voltage than normal harm my PC at all?

11. otester

otester Guest

aha, ive made FSB setting from auto to manual and now i can select different clock speeds: 166,167,168 etc. so should i start at 167 and work up their?

12. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

My Barton will run at 166 or 200.
    The 'factory' 200 setting is good because it will apply proper dividers and give you 33 (PCI) and 66 (AGP) and so everything will be right in spec :)
    But my XP2500+ multiplier is only 11x; your 2800+ will be higher.
    Also, you will need PC3200 minimum.
    Try to get it to post at 200 even if you must goose the CPU voltage from 1.65 (stock) to 1.70 or even 1.75v if you have solid cooling.
    Save your 85 Quid, if you can get it to run 200 it will come up maybe XP3500+ or something ;-)
    Regards

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  13. otester

otester Guest

Ive already tried putting it at 200 but then my monitor goes standby and pc does nothing. my power supply is only 300w, is that why? or do i just need to up the voltage a bit?

A barton 2800+ is a 2.08 so what is a barton 3200+?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2005
  14. madgreek

madgreek Guest

Becuase you are way overclocking the cpu can't support it that is why. Your only hope is to find in the bios where you can manually raise the fsb in 1 mhz increments. Otherwise .......

15. otester

otester Guest

as i said in one of my previous posts i can.

can anyone recommend me a good coolermaster case? no more than £70

16. pulsar

pulsar Active member

My 3200 barton is locked @ 2.2. I had a 2600 athlon before. I am not sure if there is much difference as I fitted a WD 75gig Raptor SATA RAID HD!

17. otester

otester Guest

|

18. otester

otester Guest

yea but my processor is clocked @ 2.23 so thats not locked, even says it in My Computer "General Tab" bit or is just lying?