1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd Destructive Recovery coming / Help Please

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by gerry1, Jan 8, 2006.

1. gear79

gear79 Guest

hey ddp, speaking of hard drives, i have a spare 40gig hdd that i want to install, it has the old skinny black plug connector, which i bought an adapter for, cost me like 40 bucks, but it changes the ide to sata i guess. anyway, if i install it, what else do i need to get it to work?
    does it need to be formatted? do i have to go into the bios for it?
    i dont even know if its corrupt or not.. i dont think it is... i just want a run down how to do it.. will save me buying another one, although i would not mind getting a new one..say 200 gig or so.
    and i know i need to change the little plugs in the back, make it a secondary hdd. i have it set, and ready to go..
    can ya give me some pointers?

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Norton Internet Security sent up this stern looking dialog box with a red scull and crossbone with "Alert" in big red letters saying "An outside application is trying to listen at the port". I'm not entirely sure what that means but I shut down everything including the modem instantly. I guess that's one thing I like about Norton; it doesn't happen all that often but often enough that I get some warning about an intruder attempting to do something to the firewall and a host of other things. I guess I get some comfort from that. I guess people trying to access one's computer is more common than most people realize?

4. gear79

gear79 Guest

there are 2 ports that the pc uses to communicate.. i wanna say like 43 or 44 and like 100 something... not sure.. but i have gotten that too, but running a test to see what ports were or were not open..

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hi guys! Hopefully, this will be my last question in this thread. My HP is running great (knock on wood), no more grinding and grunting noises and no more trouble booting up or shutting down. After putting in the new hard drive, I reinstalled all my software and everything went well except for some problems with my printer. Before, it just automatically connected with the drivers already in XP but now it wouldn't. I did a little homeword and went in and installed it manually and now it works like a charm. Thing is, whenever I boot up, it says it's found new hardware, states the model of the printer, and the new hardware installation wizard pops up. I thought maybe if I went through the motions of installing it would stop but it didn't work...just searches and searches and won't stop until I go into the task manager and stop it. When I boot up and the "new hardware installation wizard" pops up, I just click cancel and it disappears and I can go about my business but does anyone have any idea how I can stop this installation wizard from popping up...printer is installed and works fine but system doesn't seem to recognize the fact. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!...Gerry

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Gerry,

Try to uninstall your printers from under Printers and other hardware and they reboot and see if it corrects the problem. If not then try doing what I suggest below:

Download the latest drivers for your printer from it's website. Completely uninstall your printer drivers currently on your HDD. Uninstall your printers under Printers and other hardware also.

Now depending on what your printer installation calls for, whether the printer should be plugged in and USB plugged in or NOT, just follow the instructions and install the latest drivers.

In other words, just go back to scratch.

If neither works, pack up your printer and PC and ship it to me…. I promise to send it back…. LOL

7. gear79

gear79 Guest

to jump in here, my second hard drive install (used one) no clue if its good or not, much less works.... is not going well...

i need a n00b guide how to install, that link u sent me ted does no good.
    all i can say, i have it set for a slave drive, its an ultra ata 100 maxtor hdd, it has the serial ata conversion.... i bought this...
    http://www.pccables.com/01650.htm
    it looks real similair
    i need to figure out how to get it to install and how to get it operating...

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Gear

What is your MB Model?

9. gear79

gear79 Guest

Field Value
    Motherboard Name Asus PTGD1-LA

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Last edited: Jan 28, 2006
  11. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Jeez, what would I do without yuz guys? Scuba, I did as you said and uninstalled. When I rebooted, the Install new hardware wizard came up, I went through the whole thing again and it did the trick. Thanks again! ... Gerry

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Glad we could help you Gerry :)

13. gear79

gear79 Guest

@ scuba...

when i tried it earlier, i went into the bios and it was not detected. i can hear the drive spinning, but nothing else. i have no clue if its any good or not, it was in an old pc of mine that crashed.
    i may just buy a new one... assuming i get a different drive.
    will it be the SATA drive then?
    so looking at the M/B pic, at the far right center, can i connect to that port with the thin ribbon type cable, or plug into one of the 4 tiny plugs at the bottom right with that adapter i have (link above in post)?

@ gerry....... we all learn something new everyday.. glad ted fixed your problems !!! :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2006
  14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try the drive as an ide to see if bios sees hd or not

15. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Gear...

You have 1 IDE ribbon which is for your DVD Writer. If you have only one Optical drive on that ribbon then you can use that HDD on it as well. If you have two Optical drives, then unplug one, the one that is the slave, and make sure your IDE HDD is STILL set to slave and see if it is recognized to verify the HDD as ddp mentioned. Keep in mind you might have to boot first into your bios to make sure that drive is recognized.

Final note:

Your motherboard is really setup for 4 single SATA drives as per that link I listed. If this ATA HDD isn't any good, I would then purchase a SATA drive to use as an addition drive.

16. gear79

gear79 Guest

ok, i'll give it a try tomorrow.... too tired to mess it up right now anyway !