1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3.13 to 4.01 withhout 4.02

Discussion in 'iPhone - Unlocking and hacking' started by GDN74, Aug 16, 2010.

1. GDN74

GDN74 Member

can someone explain to me how to udate my 3gs 16gb iphone to 4.01 without having to update to 4.02 in itunes

2. Link2205

Link2205 Regular member

Hiya! ^^

Have you jailbroken your device before? Did you save your shsh files either yourself or on the cydia server? If you haven't got those saved, then no you cant upgrade to 4.0.1.

3. GDN74

GDN74 Member

yes both devices are jailbroke a unlocked on 3.13,i just want to go to 4.01 without being forced to update 4.02, and if you explain the shsh it would be appreciated

4. GDN74

GDN74 Member

oh yea i downloaded the 4.01 fron felixbruns

5. Link2205

Link2205 Regular member

Did you want the devices to remain jailbroken and do you require an unlock?

SHSH files are basically what are used for signing the firmware before the device will accept it. I will assume you haven't backed these up yourself as you would have known what an SHSH was. You can see if they have been backed up on Saurik's server by going into Cydia and it will be at the top in green text.

[​IMG]

If it doesn't say that it's got a 4.0.1 SHSH, then you won't be able to update to 4.0.1. You could prob goto 4.0 if it has that.

Also, do you know whether you have the new or old bootrom on your device(s). You can use this tutorial to find out the boot rrom version. I wouldn't advise using f0recast to check though because it told me my 3gs had new bootrom, when it actually has the old one... >.< Anyway, when you find this out, it'll determine whether you can restore with a custom firmware if you wanted to jailbreak again, if you can't restore to 4.0.1

Edit - One thing I over looked. Do you require your device to be unlocked? Do you have a sim that can activate the device after you update? If you do require the unlock and DON'T have a SIM, then it's best that you don't update as you won't be able to activate the device to jailbreak it... If you have an old bootrom however, you'll be able to install a custom firmware which won't require activation.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  6. DjRaise

DjRaise Regular member

Yup! What Link said. :)