1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 films on 1 dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by UkRebel, Mar 19, 2004.

1. UkRebel

UkRebel Member

Hi i have a dvd-r with 3 full films on great quality as well, how is this done? how can u put 3 films on a disk without the quality being reduced

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi ukrebel
    You cant do it without the quality being reduced.Is the quality loss noticable with the naked eye? Depends on how much reduction is being used,all shrinking programs will reduce the pic and sound but depending on the equipment your watching it on,most ppl cant tell.
    i use dvd shrink or dvd2one,the guide to use for shrink is ... http://www.dvdshrink.info/compilation.php
    youll find all the guides youll need at the top of this page.
    These are the programs i use and i have a 65 inch high def. tv and i cant tell the difference.The more you compress the more you might notice it.
    good luck and blaze on
    jim

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey there UkRebel,

No worries, I've done it many times :)

I use DVD Shrink to rip and edit (Movie only), compress to the max then I use DVD2One (because it's easy) in the "Join" mode and let fly - I also have a 65" TV and a 19" monitor and notice no difference with the naked eye. I know it sounds "Kinky" but Hey, it's my house and that's my lifestyle - everyone else, do what you will but I'll be damned if I'll put eye clothes on while hanging 'round my own place !

Anywho, I find the max is 3 DVD-9's on a single disc OR 4 DVD-5's on a single disc -

"Have at it !" I say.

I also say, "Welcome to the Club."

Pete

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

3 DVD-9's?? Wow, wouldnt want to try that myself, it would look terrible...

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Oooohhh, contraire my friend, I truly see no great difference, and No, de "Old" man isn't blind as a bat, tis za truth'th (Yea, go ahead, say that 3 times fast’th without drowning the person across from you in spit) I speak'th without fork'th tongue'th - and as has been said, Try’th it “O” Christopher Robin’th twid not be as bad as you’th feared :p)

(he, he and you thought just the young and uneducated could speak so poorly)

(signed with drool running down the corner of me mouth from speaking with such a pronounced lisp’th)

ScubaPete'th

6. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

LMAO @ scubapete.

Damn, i'm going to try that right now just to see what the qualities like, the 3 movies on a disc, not the listhp, ;)

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

{coward}

8. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

LOL, you be crazy mon. I just compressed the hell out of animatrix, which i had already backed up movie only with shrink, didn't need compression at all. So i threw that in shrink again and compressed it to 50% (with deep analysis ofcourse)!! And just played it on my 17 inch flat screen pc monitor, and it's astoundingly good. If i look really closely i can see the slighted artifacting around darker patches, but nothing like the pixelation i would normally get. My monitor usually shows up any artifiacting. I want to try and put the matrix movies on a couple of disks, 1 if i can ;) so i'll see how the matrix 1 fares after being compressed as much as possible, none too confidant though. Is there anything special i need to know about joing the 2 movies in dvd2one, never used it, but i have the full copy , the trial won't allow you to join movies.

Cheers

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

No, you're doing it right - I run it through DVD Shrink twice, do that with all 3 - when you get to audio selection choose AC3 2ch, to keep your stereo and of course no sub-titles and when you get to The type of join, select non-seamless and make sure you "tick" the Advanced Navigation mode -

It's so darn easy, I bought the program and the companion burner CopyToDVD (shouldn't have purchased that - I thought it would burn automatically like DVD Shrink does with Nero but, no dice :-(

I forgot to mention, when you're in re-Author mode in DVD Shrink, trim off the ending credits and anything prior to the beginning of the main feature - when you're packing it that tight you need to get all the ~:wiggle~ room you can get (lol)

Doing this way I've gotten 4 DVD-5's on a single DVD.

Being a quadriplegic, I'm stuck in bed sometimes and being so, am unable to change discs - this helps no end :p)

Pete

(I'll make a believer out of Oriphus yet, he,he)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2004
  10. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

lmao pete
    call scubapete butter,cuz hes on a roll!!
    ive never tried anymore than two movies on a disc but, thanks to the go ahead by our uncle pete,thats the next thing im gonna try...You guys are the shisnit roflmao.THANKS AFTERDAWN!!
    lmfao@eye clothing
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]no matter where you go...there you are.
    you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!![/small]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2004
  11. UT_CK

UT_CK Member

One day Scuba .. when you get that 100 inch widescreen TV... you'll wish you had put only 3 of those movies on those you fit 4 on.... lol

Soooo funny... here I am splitting films which are longet than 2 hours.. and you're putting 7 hours on each disk.... Guess I'm overkill !

Regards,
    CK

12. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

Hey scuba pete, sorry about the late reply, afterdawn's server must have been having some nap time yesterday. I cut the credits and all superfluous crap anyway when doing just one movie, lol.

I tried joining the animatrix with the matrix to see if it would work, dvd2one joined them fine, but whilst burning the VIDEO_TS folder to dvd-r it came up with an error. I use recordnow dx 4.6 and have never had a prob with it. It may have been the disk, i use cheap media, but again never have any probs with them, but being cheap media that thought is always nagging at the back of my mind.. I noticed on your post you say to enable advanced nav mode, i didn't do this, i thought it was if you were putting menus on the disk, but from your most recent post it's obvious you don't stuff around with that bollocks either.

The fact that it's creating two files called oh hang on, just checked the output folder again and it hasn't named anything the same, i didn't think that would be possible.

Two more questions for ya buddy :)what does advanced nav mode do and why is it that when i recompress matrix one from an already compressed copy @ 15%, the scene at the start with trinity in the room sitting on the chair with the cops coming in... She turns and breaks the cops arm and jumps in the air and the camera swings around her... I've redone his twice yesterday, and everytime it gets all sticky, and the camera doesn't go around her, like it's missing frames. i checked the "original" ;) and it plays thru that bit fine.
    The first time i compressed it by 65%, so that 35% was left on the bar. Tried again at 50% samething. Tried burning it to dvd to see if it just the dvd player s/ware, and it did nay burn.

Cheers and sorry for the long post.

btw even after compressing the matrix by that much it is still very good, nowhere near original, but definately nowhere near as pixelated as i thought, so this is the "smoothing" people talk about when compressing by large amounts with shrink. I think it works in their favour, i would much prefer smoothed over pic then big pixelated blocks, hell even the dark scenes are well done.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2004
  13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

What am I’m a-gonna do wid youse there pbailey,

PLUuuuueeeeaaasseee, you're killin me here using such big films as the Matrix AND the animatrix, that's MORE than 3 regular DVD movies -

OK, so anyway, so at least, break open the piggybank, get some decent media and follow ALL of the directions - using just some of the directions doesn't work - ya want this ta work, don't ya so don't break "Uncle" ScubaPete's fins -

That's why ya got to trim the movies.

BTW, I don't care what your burner is - the work is being done using DVD Shrink re-Author and DVD2One -

Let's try it again, following the directions or else the soup won't come out right :-()

Give a shout when you're done Okie, Dokie ?

Yep, that's good :D)

"P"

14. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

Geez, not condescending in the slightest, LMFAO!

Uncle scoobs, the animatrix turned out really well, but i can't seems to be getting matrix to backup with stickiness prevailing in shots.

I think i'll put animatrix and the ghost in the shell on one dvd, and see how that goes, i shall indeed give a yodel when i'm done. Cheers once again.

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

He's such a good boy, - - - slow, but good :)

16. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

Backed up animatrix and ghost in the shell on one dvd, compressed each by about 30%, can't tell the difference on my 68cm tv from the originals. Handy for trilogys and the such.

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Very, very good there pbailey,

That's 2 on a disc, come on now my friend, you can do it - go for 3 on one :) It works well -

The real fun begins when you do 4 DVD-5's, an approx. 6 hours of film on a single DVD - it's slicker than slimy sliced Eskimos, and tastier too :p)

Go on ahead, give it a try, so much fishy finny fun you’re gonna have - -:) You’ll be like de ScubaPete, an the good Lord knows, we need so many more like me :-(

"P"

18. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

OK scubady doo pete, i didn't think you'd be too impressed with two on a disc, so i'm adding bladerunner to them, except bladerunner is pretty damn big.

It's a very handy method for sharing movies with mates, bah, so sue me, and also for taking around a mates place instead of carting your whole collection.

19. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

And scubadedo pete, call me Phil.

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Well then Alrighty then Phil,

Give me a yell when ya gets all 3 there - Remember, I have Oriphus, that "Doubting Thomas" waiting in the wings to see the outcome he, he

Chat with you later :)

"P"