1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Hr Video to 4 Hr DVD ?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by PGDragon, Mar 26, 2005.

1. PGDragon

PGDragon Member

I have a video that is 3 Hours long and I want to put it on dvd (4 Hr capacity/ 4.3 GB) when I recorded my video on 4hr mode the file is bigger than 4.3 GB. How can I put my 3 Hour video on dvd without having the file larger than 4.3 GB ?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

What determines how big your Movie will be is the Length of the Movie and the Bitrate used to encode that Movie so there is No such thing as saying that a 4.38gb DVD-R will Hold 4 hours because it is all relative to the Bitrate used to encode that Movie...

You can actually fit over 6 hours on a 4.38gb DVD-R if you use the Correct Bitrate and resolution...

So if you have a 3 Hour movie that you want to Put on a 4.38gb DVD-R then I suggest you do this..(Which is Probably totally different than the way you are doing it but it is the Correct way)

Load your 3 Hour File into a Good Mpeg-2 encoder Like "Tmpgenc" and encode it to Mpeg-2 at 352+480 for NTSC or 352+576 for Pal useing a average Video Bitrate of "3125kbs and a "Mpeg-1 Layer 2" audio bitrate of 192kbs at 48000hz....

After encodeing to Mpeg-2 you should have a Mpeg-2 file that is about 4.3gb so what you do now is Load the Mpeg-2 file into a DVD authoring Program Like "DVDLab" or "Tmpgenc DVD Author" so you can add your Menu"s and Chapters and to Format it all into a Video_TS folder which it will then Burn to DVD..

Now all you have to do is watch your Movie on your DVD Player and the Quality should be Quite good (If your source files are of High Quality)...

Cheers