1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 quick questions

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by klemperal, Jun 18, 2007.

1. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Well, I just bought the pro version and as I began experimenting with some of the new features several questions came to mind.

1. Does it make a difference if I use "full" or "movie+menus" mode when encoding a DVD that I have either already stripped away all such extras or ripped as movie+menus?

2. When I select movie+menu mode it shows several extra unexpanded film reels that were not there for full mode. Perhaps I'm wrong, but are these the titles that will be excluded? Anything special I'm supposed to do with them?

3. Why does it not show a difference in how much space is being saved when I ex out unwanted audio or subs?

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

shouldn't make any difference but if you have previously edited the folder to your liking I would probably just select full backup. there may be some instances where not all unwanted material is removed such as warning screens or splash screens depending on what editing software you use. I only use and recommend over all other editing software dvdremake for editing.

sorry but I'm not sure since I always edit my folder using dvdremake pro prior to loading it into rb/cce and doing full backup.

again sorry can't answer that since it doesn't show up in the log but the sorce folder size will be slighly smaller, the compression wil be slighly less, and the unwanted audio and subs will be removed.

3. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Thanks for the help Mort81.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

klemperal,

you're very welcome and sorry I couldn't fully answer all your questions. have you tried dvdremake? I think there is a fully functional trial of dvdremake pro if you like it you can buy dvdremake or dvdremake pro (pro costing more of course). dvdremake (non pro version) doesn't have as many advanced editing features as the pro version but imo is still superior to vobblanker or other free apps and is much more user friendly. I couldn't get by without dvdremake pro but then I do quite a bit of advanced editing.

I recommend ripit4me as the ripping utility and for any of those that RI4M won't handle I recommend dvdfab hd decrypter and then run the ripped folder through FixVTS version 1.6.0.3. either of these ripping methods should give you the cleanest sorce folder possible.

5. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

I usually use ripit4me and then vobblanker and pgcedit depening on what I'm trying to do. It's been working relatively well with rebuilder....untill now. I updated to rebuilder pro as I mentioned earlier and since then I've only been able to back up 1 DVD total using RB pro. I'm guessing the one I was able to back up was made right before starting this thread because otherwise I would have posted the problem/question first and foremost. What happens is my computer just freezes up during the encoding phase (CCE SP). If I'm "lucky" I'll get to around 47-50% before it freezes. Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

could be a heat issue. try blowing out the inside of your case. make sure all fans are working and the heatsinks are clean especially the cpu hsf.

is your cpu over clocked? could be a stability issue. give me some specs of your pc.

7. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge when it comes to computers seeing as I'm not even sure what over clocked means or what heatsinks are. I'm pretty sure it's not a heat issue as I can feel the fans working blowing out air in the back of the computer and that it's actually pretty cold in here from my AC. Here is some information on my computer though--AMD Athlon(tm)XP 2700+, CPU speed 2166MHz, 384mb of free RAM (a bit on the low end I know, but it was working fine before), and I have 59.9 gigs of free disk space on my operating drive. If you need more information, you'll probably have to tell me where to look :) I appreciate the help.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I would remove the case cover and inspect the CPU HSF. the heatsink will set between the CPU and the CPU fan. make sure it's clean. even tho your case fans are working and cool air is coming out (front case fan should blow in and rear case fan should blow out) doesn't mean the CPU HSF is functioning properly. in fact it could mean just the opposite and that the CPU HSF is not properly extracting the heat off of your CPU.

blow out the CPU HS and fan and you can also use a q-tip dipped in alcohol to remove any varnish or gum. you may need to remove the CPU fan to access the heatsink but be careful that you don't pull the heatsink away from the CPU or pull the CPU out of it's socket. if you don't have access to an air compressor, you can buy a can of compressed air (radio shack should have some) and blow out the heatsink, fan and inside of the case. this should be done at least once every year

9. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Thanks Mort. I'm pretty sure my brother can get me some compressed air from his job so I'll give it a shot today. I'm sure the computer is way passed due for a good cleaning.

10. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Thanks for your suggestions/instructions about cleaning out the fans, and heatsinks. My fans and computer didn't look to dusty....that is until I opened it up and saw that the inside of my computer looked like a dustpan. I cleaned everything out and now RB Pro works without a hitch. I still can't believe how much dust crap managed get into my computer. Again, thanks for all the help Mort.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

you're very welcome. I'm glad we got to the bottom of you problem. now you're pc is nice n tidy on the inside too.

heat kills and one cause of heat is dirt/contamimants. best of luck and see ya around AD.