1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30" Dell vs 37" Westinghouse

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Defu, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Defu

Defu Member

2. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I was also wondering some what of the same thing. But I do know that if your graphics card can handle it, then yes 1080p does apply to games, and in some cases even higher than 1080p. However, I am looking for a monitor/TV to connect to my PC, and maybe my game consoles. I am looking for a size some where from 26" to 37". I connected my computer to my Toshiba 50" rear projection TV the other day through DVI, and I was not impressed with what I saw. I didn't think it was very clear even with the resolution set at 720p. I am looking for a flat pannel LCD to use as a monitor, but if the picture isn't any clearer that what I saw with my 50" than I will just get a new monitor. I suppose this could have been because it was a 50" TV, maybe it would have looked better on a smaller flat pannel TV. If anybody can help us out on a TV/monitor for comuting perposes it would be appriciated.

3. tomdreiss

tomdreiss Member

This month's PC Gamer Magazine did a "Battle of the Big-Screen Monitors" in which they tested the Dell 3007 WFP-HC (30 inch) vs. the HP LP3065 (30 inch)vs. the Westinghouse LVM-37W3 (37 inch). Although the Westinghouse was larger and cheaper by $300 they gave it their "Editors Choice Award" with a score of 90 out of 100. (The others scored 83 and 84 repectively) Here's what they listed as the Pros and Cons:

PROS:
    No color bleeding (via DVI or HDMI)
    Little-to-no in-game ghosting
    Perfect pixel mapping (via DVI or HDMI)
    Excellent DVD Playback
    Loads of input options
    Many video cards are capable of running games well at this resolution
    Comes with a remote

CONS:
    You'll need to sit at least 3 feet away from it
    Doesn't support as many resolutions as a 24" or 30" monitor
    No built in tuner for TV viewing

4. TooBokoo

TooBokoo Guest

I'm surprised they even noticed any ghosting with an 8ms response time. I haven't noticed any ghosting in LCD's that have worse response times. Makes me wonder if a cable or source they used was causing a problem.

5. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I guess that won't work for me then becuase I want to set closer than 3 feet away. I just liked that one because it had 1080p.

6. tomdreiss

tomdreiss Member

Spenman91...Not sure how you are going to set up your monitor, but I have my 19" LCD monitor by a wall and desk in front of it with a slide out keyboard shelf. Then of course you sit a ways back in your chair...that easily takes care of your 3' from screen distence.

P.S. A quick search on the Westinghouse has it as low as $1050.00 shipped to your door.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  7. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

My setup will be very similar except I don't think I can mount my monitor. Right now I have a 19" monitor and am probablly 2 feet away. But I think with a 37" I would just be too close. I think a 26" to 32" would proabally be about right through. I just thought 1080p would be nice. But I would think that the size difference would make the picture quality nearly equal comparing a 37" 1080p vs a 26" to 32" 768p TV being used for a computer monitor and for video games.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007