1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$3000 Budget! No Clue?

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by tony2toes, Nov 6, 2006.

1. tony2toes

tony2toes Member

I have been saving my money for a while now and I am finally ready to purchase my new tv, my only problem is I don't know what to get. I have a $3000 budget(willing to shell out a little more for quality but I figure warranty will run around $350)and I want something between 50-60". Info I gathered from this site has me wanting the Sony SXRD KDS-55 or 60" but my friend who works at CC says to go with samsung.(note:good guy but thinks he knows everything about anything so I don't know about that) I have over a 1000 dvd's and a 360. I watch more movies than I play games so I want to factor that in.Help!!!

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I have a Sony 42 in LCD rear projection (kdf42655) and it is just awesome! My only regret was not buying a larger one. I prefered regular 42 in LCDs over plasmas but when you start getting into larger screens, they get really expensive (and it was even worse about a year and a half ago) so I bought a rear projection LCD. Sony had cheaper 42 in but the pics weren't as good. I'm not into games though so I'm unable to comment in that regard.

One thing though, take the pictures you actually see in the stores with a grain of salt ... I say that simply because one pic being better than another can be simply a matter of the care or lack thereof when TVs were being set up. Whoever set up the Samsung DLPs at the first store I shopped should have been shot....it was all grainy and I know from subsequent shopping that whoever set the tv up sure did it no justice! My suggestion with rear projections is to buy one of the better models ...it seems to make a big difference with subtle things like the blacks/darks etc. Also, be sure to read good objective reviews about the model. The model I have, for instance, was the consequence of a lot of work due to complains of lamps burning out too quickly; this TV was the answer to the comlaint. So too, others that I looked at had really bad reviews ... they really helped my choice a lot.

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

tony2toes, go with the Sony SXRD 60" . its going for 2969.00 at Best Buy the last couple weeks and i have this model along with a few others in here its an amazing set

4. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Shop around! I got the 60 A2000 for $2800, free shipping, no tax, and a free upconverting DVD player. Remember that cables can cost quite a bit so factor that into your budget. Are you including a surround sound system in your budget or is that just for the T.V.?Online orders often are not taxed so you may consider that if you are so inclined. That can save 200-300 bucks depending on the tax rate where you live.

5. tony2toes

tony2toes Member

Thanks 4 the reply's. I appreciate your time. $3000 is my budget for the television. I already have a surround sound although I might upgrade later, it looks like some pretty nice systems coming out around spring. Anyway what do you guys think? Fry's has the 60" SXRD on sale through turkey day for 2499.00.I think this deal might be to good to pass up.

6. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

That's the cheapest I've seen and I just bought my T.V. in October.

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

tony2toes, just make sure thats this years model(Sony SXRD 60") the speakers will be on bottom of the set compared to last years model being on the sides. if you can get the 2006 model for that price you can't go wrong . i payed 3099.00 for that set a couple months ago at Best Buy

8. tony2toes

tony2toes Member

@aabbccdd, yes the speakers are on the bottom of the set. It is listed at 2999.99 in store but there is a 300 dollar instant rebate and then a 200 dollar manufacturer rebate. The only thing the sales guy could not tell me was if the hdmi inputs had hdcp capabilities. Do you guys know? Someone told me this is a must have for the future.

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2006
  10. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

BTW, Vann's.com has it for $2699, with free shipping and no tax with a free harmony remote(usually $130), Crutchfield-$2999 with free shipping and no tax. If you are at all inclined to internet orders, like I said before, you can save a bundle in tax.

11. tony2toes

tony2toes Member

Well I guess I found my set:) Thanks alot guys!

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

tony2toes , you will def. be happy with this set!!

post back and tell how you like it

BTW i have an rooftop antenna a get all my locals ABC ,CBS ,NBC, FOX and several others in High-Def for free !!! being the SXRD has the HD tuner built in . so thats icing on the cake!

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

tony2toes , also your probably going to want an Upconverting DVD Player since you have many DVDs this is what i got an OPPO OPDV971H 720p/1080i Up-Converting HDTV-Ready DVD Player .you will be amazing how good your DVDs look with this Player. i called Oppo and they said getting it for Amazon.com was the best option being it was free shipping( ordered it mon got it tues.) it will run you 199.99 and is well worth it. heres the link and theres a few threads on this deck

http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h.html

14. tony2toes

tony2toes Member

aabbccdd, I already have an dvd player with hdmi upconversion. I bought the Panasonic DMR-EH75V a while back for the 80 gig hdd. I get free cable so it acts as a tivo/cable box. Its pretty nice. Its probobly not the best at upconversion but I have been holding out for the BlueRay/HD dvd hybrid player from toshiba. Its suppost to have great upconversion capabilities for my old dvds and I will start buying those dvd formats once I get the player. Thanks for all the advice though. It is much appreciated. I would like to know what hdmi cables you recommend? I want to get the best out my set and I know a decent cable will run me atleast 80 bucks.

15. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

tony2toes, set your res. at 1080i or 1080p on your Panasonic DMR-EH75V if you don't see an vast improvment i would consider the Oppo OPDV971H .i had a LG dvd upconverting dvd player but it ended up being a POS lol so i took it back and got the Oppo and wow i was blown away by the picture quality ,its the [bold]DCDi by Faroudja Chip[/bold] thats makes the difference in this DVD player.

i got the "Monster HDMI Ultra 800" 1.12m cables from Best Buy for 80.00 dollars so thats a good price or the "Sliver Serpents" are top notch also. you can find them online(bettercables.com. e-bay etc.) buy good ones don't let a cable be your weakest link.

http://www.bettercables.com/?OVKEY=bettercables.com&OVMTC=standard&OVRAW=bettercables.com.