1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32 bits and 64 bits pc

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by henryting, Feb 3, 2009.

1. henryting

henryting Regular member

Hi,
    Curently, I have a new pc which has a processor intel duo core qua which I think can support both 32bit and 64bits for windows vista.
    I have a internal harddisk 1TB and a asus motherboard P5Q DELUXKE.
    In order to maximise the use of my pc. can anyone advise which one to be used? 32bits or 64bits? Can 64bits support most programes or softwares?
    Your urgently advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

64bit allows for more than 3.5GB of RAM. a lot of programs offer support for 64bit, but you might need to go to their websites to download it. To use 64bit your operating system would need to be 64bit.

It's what I'm running and everything I use works fine.

64bit can handle all the RAM you can throw at it.

3. Rookoo

Rookoo Member

I really wouldn't suggest 64 bit, although the extra ram seems nice, at the moment it isn't terribly useful unless you're doing an insane amount of stuff. There are many, many programs that have no support whatsoever for 64 bit, and other are unstable at best. I'm on 64bit and wish I had chosen 32 bit.

4. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

@ Rookoo: Sorry to hear you are having issues. I don't think I have come across any instability yet. It's true that many programs aren't able to utilize 4 cores yet, but nothing wrong with future proofing your OS by going 64 bit.

I think Creative Suite 4 (photoshop products) are now on 64 bit, comes in handy for the really big projects or multi-tasking.
    dBPowerAMP can use 4 cores to rip 4 songs at a time. Makes it go twice as fast.