1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

360 HD-DVD Add-On Supports 1080P

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by dblbogey7, Sep 20, 2006.

1. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

http://www.gamespot.com/events/tgs2006/story.html?sid=6157930&tag=topslot;action;2

2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Looks like a firmware or dashboard update will enable 1080p thru component?

3. jeray

jeray Regular member

i was just about to ask if i should get one.is 1080p even possible through componet?i don't know how many actual hd dvd's i'll be getting,mainly for upconverting regular.so do you think this one will be better than an hdmi upconversion dvd? i have a sxrd capable of 1080p.

4. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

The games are going to be upscaled to reach the 1080p rez but its not the true resolution.They just doing this to say hey we got game in 1080p. This drive is nothing more than a upconvert dvd player thats all.But im happy to see it does have the HD-DVD player and it dont look like its going to cost that much.

5. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I'm glad to finally find out some more information on the HD-DVD drive. But I wonder what the quality will be like compared Toshiba player.

6. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

The upgrade would upconvert games to 1080p but I doubt if copy-protected standard DVD's will be upconverted too since there is no HDMI.

7. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

That kind of makes me wonder if the HD-DVD drive will play standard DVD's. I know it may sound stupid but the way I see it......if it did play standard DVD's that would be less wear on the laser in the regular DVD drive for people that wanted to watch all their movies on their 360. I really wish they would come out with a HDMI add on though.

8. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

From an Industry Insiders thread at another forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8479439#post8479439

9. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

So to summarize that post - when MS comes out with the fall software update and the HD-DVD add-on the 360 will be able to do the following:

VGA:
    1080p for games (scaled or native), HD-DVD, and DVD

Component:
    1080p for games (scaled or native)
    1080i for HD-DVD
    480i for DVD

Currently the 360 does 480p (progressive scan) for DVD's over component so his statement should say 480p for DVD's. Has last sentence is interesting though. Developers can choose to program games to run at 1080p.

10. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

HD DVD version of Peter Jackson's "King Kong" to be distributed with Xbox 360 HD DVD

http://www.news4gamers.com/xbox360/News-10613.aspx

11. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Personally I don't think $200 is that bad as long as it's a good quality player and doesnt suck. But did I read that right, I thought it said something about it coming out in 2007? I thought it was supposed to come out around November of this year.

12. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Mid-November 2006 in North America

13. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Sorry, I kind of read that in a hurry. "other territories" in 07, I got now. Thanks

14. crazyfly

crazyfly Member

will this HD-DVD play games on it or just movies, ive searched the web and it says youre unable to play games. is that true

15. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

As of now Microsoft says you can't and will not be able to play games on it. It could change if Microsoft wanted it to but I don't know. Becuase Then again you have to concider that would screw over people who didn't buy the drive.