1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

360 HDDVD to my PC, which is connected to an HDTV?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by Mario54, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Mario54

Mario54 Guest

Sup,

I wanted to know, before i buy the 360 hd-dvd, how it would output on my hdtv.
    My computer is connected to an HDTV(supports 720p and 1080i)as a monitor through my 7600gt(this one).
    So, if i get the 360 hd-dvd player and play a movie outputted to my hdtv, will it come out normal and in hd like stand-alone hd-dvd player would?

Thx!

2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing you plan to connect the HD-DVD drive directly to the PC - no 360 involved - right?. You should be able to output HD-DVD movies in 720p or 1080i to your HDTV as long as you have the right combination of hardware and software. From what I've read so far you will need an HDCP compliant video card. I can't seem to see this in the specs of your eVGA. You'll also need software like Cyberlink's Power DVD Ultra which now features HD-DVD playback in high-def.

For more info and discussion here's a thread on how some people were able to make the 360's HD DVD add on work on a PC:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748426&page=1&pp=30

Also an FAQ on the add on:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748740&page=1&pp=30

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  3. Mario54

Mario54 Guest

Yeah, im planning on connecting the hd-dvd to my pc. I know how to make it work on my pc and what software i need. What i want to know is how the movie will output on my hdtv being used as a monitor. Will it look as good as an hd-dvd stand-alone player would?
    Im unsure because the hd-dvd player isnt connected directly to the tv, so i dont know if the hd-dvd connected to my pc would conflict with the quality of the movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2006
  4. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

It shouldn't matter as long as you have the right hardware and software. Look at the 1st link I posted above - look at the pictures posted on page 2 and you can see the very good results on a 1080p display.

5. Mario54

Mario54 Guest

oh ok. Thanks for the info on that.
    Would my 7600gt be good for outputting HD to an hdtv? Here are the specs: link

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2006
  6. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

It doesn't say if it's HDCP compliant or not. I'm not 100 percent sure but from what I've read so far you'll need an HDCP compliant video card to get HD quality from the add-on (when connected to a PC of course.)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  7. Mario54

Mario54 Guest

so what happens if my video card isnt hdcp? Does that mean the movie wont play HD and only in SD?

8. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

From the posts I've read - you do need an HDCP card and an HDCP display (which your HDTV probably is) to get full HD resolution. I'll read through the rest of the thread later to see if anything has changed.