1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D TV's - Are they worth it?

Discussion in '3D TV' started by miketrev, May 20, 2010.

1. miketrev

miketrev Regular member

Hi All, First post in this forum (yay!)

My question is are 3d tvs worth it then? Whats difference between them with say my 48" ambilight 1080p TV? Do you need any special glasses to view 3D movies?

Thanks
    Mike

2. SG8

SG8 Active member

3. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

save your cash.. buy the best not 3d ripoff you can get... maybe it will last a couple of years past the warranty ..

4. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

i doubt they are worth it myself
    but would like to see more a on them by someone i know that has 1 for a month or so
    also you get the 3d glasses with the tv
    otherwise they cost a few£££

5. cactikid

cactikid Active member

you need good eyesight as 20% of the nation cannot watch it or if you have a lazy eye it wont work for you.went into the local DID as they had just got one in,looked very cool with images hopping off screen,if you look close you can see image juddering in fast action,i missed it,priced around e3000,maybe you still have to buy new 3d dvd or blu ray.
    not rushing out to buy just yet,what happens when a big gang turns up who wears the glasses.maybe they should include 4 pairs for the average family.

6. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

alright bud, you say if you look close you can see image juddering around in fast action
    'but you missed it' thats a sign of that lazy eye starting to play around again,lol
    id say in a month or 2 the price will drop a bit in some sale or you will get the family free glasses

7. harry1938

harry1938 Guest

I have seen and tried it sony it comes out next month Ithink you get 2pair of glasses with it extra pairs are £100 per pair and any one else watching without glasses will be watching blurvision

8. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

I saw them on tv and yes you need the glasses to watch it and yes you get a pair with any 3D tv.Might look good watching one but the list of problems you can get from watching too much 3D tv is very long.Hopefully in a year or 2 they will be safer and cheaper.wouldn't recommend getting 1 yet unless your one of them people that likes to keep up with the joness.

as for eyesight my eyesight is really bad i can't read the writing on my computer moniter without my contact lens or glasses.havnt tried 3D tv myself except at the Imax cinama about 5years ago.Dont think it will do my eyes anygood.don't even know if it will work properly on my eyes.

9. cactikid

cactikid Active member

get a 30" monitor it has bigger writing lol,cant see tv guide.

10. RottieGrl

RottieGrl Member

Also, if you've got depth perception problems, you can't watch in 3D.

11. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

just seen your post from earlier, tut`tut now we know why you want a 3D tv,lol

12. cactikid

cactikid Active member

new panasonic 3d is interesting as it has a viacess card stuck in the side,pity they dont have a dish to use it on lol,as all their sat dishes are on astra.

13. miketrev

miketrev Regular member

Cheers for all your input on this, guess ill stick with the blue and red glasses for now :D

14. chocco1

chocco1 Regular member

are the 3d glasses you buy from the cinema any good for the tv as there only cheap but seem to work ok ,they look like sun glasses

15. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

no wont work mate -

16. frankacne

frankacne Guest

17. frankacne

frankacne Guest

What a complete and utter waste of time all this is. My friend has spent a small fortune on HI Tec, HD stuff in recent months and now he learns he should be buying 3D. He will of course need a new pair of glasses and may need to check his contact lens prescription. What he really needs most of all is to get out more and get some exercise and fresh air. As for myself dealing with my blogs, my updates to scientific literature and to Windows update and all the other work which keeps me welded to my monitor and chiar far to long... its time to call a halt. Then their are my several hundred emails per day, 3D who needs this. Most of the movies are drek anyway. oh wait a minute the rain has stopped and the sun is shining, i am off for a walk and i can assure you it wont be to my 3DHD stockist and thats a promise.

18. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

I don't think it's worth it. Not only is there an extremely small amount of (good) 3D content available it's just way too expensive which really makes it not worth it all. If you thought you can just buy a new TV to "upgrade", think again. If you already have a decent Home Theatre setup like myself (Full HD Plasma, Receiver + Surround Sound System, Blu-ray Player), you have to replace EVERYTHING so that every device, cable, etc, is 3D compatible. Then you have to buy the glasses, which you guessed it, are way overpriced.

The “3D” viewing experience will appeal to some, while others would much rather see it in a theatre, while to some others it just gives them a headache or it really isn’t that special now nor was it years ago. 3D TV’s are already made that don’t require glasses, so it just shows you that this thing is just a gimmick and anyone who buys into is going to look back and say why the hell did I buy this, it just isn’t worth it. Heck I’m not even too sure how long blu-ray and 1080p will last. Other countries (mostly Japan) already have TV’s that are at least twice the resolution of 1080p, and they’ve had these for years now. So if you are going to jump on the 3D bandwagon, just wait till you do and see how the market does for it, cause there's always something better right around the corner.

19. Speculant

Speculant Member

Until every single TV show and movie released is in 3D (by 3D, I mean without glasses), not worth it.

20. macblob

macblob Member

I did buy the Sony 3D TV and Sony 3D BluRay player 4 weeks ago.

I did not try the 3D anything on it at that time because it was an option for later. Well 4 days ago it was later and I bought the 3D Glasses (one pair $149.95 US) and the 3D transmitter ($49.95 US). YES, it was pricey....I bought only one pair because I wanted to see what the hoopla was about it.

Well I have to admit it is true that the 3D movies I seen so far did jump out of the box and made a big difference in 3D imaging. The bad part is that the movies (3 of them) that were in 3D were all animation....Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, Bolt, Monster House. All three movies were free. One came with the TV, one with the Blu-Ray player and the other one was free with the $24 blu-ray regular purchase(it was a promo). I did not have jittering or skips or anything. Maybe because I have a Sony 240Hz/55" LED TV.

As for buying $40 to $50 3D movie at those prices...I do not think so. Maybe if they come done in price in another year or two like the $8 Blu-Ray movies(aka Walmart specials). As for now I would say save your money and just by something that gives you the option of using it later. In other words do not buy the upgrades.

It is also TRUE that you need to have everything 3D compliant when going 3D. Do to HDMI v1.4(a) is the standard for 3D. My $400 Yamaha RX-V765 AV receiver is useless for 3D. I had to hook the BluRay directly to the TV to watch 3D and to listen to 5.1 surround sound I had to hook an audio optical fiber cable from the TV to the AV receiver. TV speaker suck!