1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3Dmark03 interesting cpu information!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Xsilver, May 3, 2004.

1. Xsilver

Xsilver Regular member

I ran a copy of 3dmark03 on my computer and scored 1250. Anyway i exported my results to excel and found this information. Intel Pentium 4
    Internal clock : 2533Mhz
    Internal clock maximum : 4000Mhz
    External clock : 133 Mhz
    Socket Designation : Socket 478

My motherboard is set at maximum settings, so hyperthetically (crap at spelling) if i got a new motherboard would my processor over clock to 4000Mhz?

2. bird1234

bird1234 Member

I hope you have some nice cooling. That is the hypothetical max speed of the CPU. I've seen online that someone took a p4 all the way up to 5000mhz, but that's the insane cooling on it. I think he had to cryo freezers hooked up to his system. They are supposed to run constantly at about -100 C. When you get one of those hooked up to your system, let me know how far you OC.

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

And let me guess, this dude also manages to run his RAM at DDR-10billion Mhz? (no offence to you intended, sometimes people tend to over exxagerate things a tad -- possible but ridiculously unlikely). :)

4. bird1234

bird1234 Member

5. Praetor

Well now im impressed :p I didnt mean any offence to you in either case... its just ive heard enough BS as a technie i tend to be skeptical ('sides i thought you meant a private individual, on his own rather than a group of peeps doing an experiment)

Cheers.

6. bird1234

bird1234 Member

naaaaaa, no offense taken. I can completely understand about the heresay. I still was unable to find the original one i was talkin about though :( I know exactly what you mean about hearing the BS as a techie. Friends always trying to outdo the others and always ends up far from the truth.

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I read that article at THG a while back. If I remember correctly they had to have a mobo custom built by Asus to handle the higher voltages etc.

It's a neat kind of "what if" but I'm more impressed with seeing how far a system can go while retaining stability.

People do claim some really silly stuff. I was reading customer reviews for the P4 3.2 over at newegg and some guy was claiming he OC'd it to 3.9Ghz with only air cooling. He really stressed the air part. Let me see if I can find it, it's pretty funny.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: May 4, 2004
  8. Praetor

Technically you can with air... if you attatch 2x P&W F100-PW-220 turbofans as intakes

9. Nephilim

Found it:

3.9Ghz, air-cooled and it never breaks 100F. Yeah right.

10. Nephilim

Just don't get sucked in!

11. bird1234

bird1234 Member

Where can i get one of those fans at? It might be the only way to get louder cooling than Praetor.

12. Xsilver

Xsilver Regular member

Yeah i under stand when you say this is the hypothetical speed. However i do not know a program that will guess the max speed it can run at. I have looked at other benchmarks using a P4 2.53Ghz processor and the and the internal clock maximum differed for the same chips. I suppose this is the same as ram even though you buy 512MB ram it is not exactly 512MB its always slighty over spec.

13. Praetor

Strip down a F15E for its two engine intakes; thats 46000 lbs of force coming out of them engines -- make sure your mounting structure and mobo can handle that kinda impact :p

14. bird1234

bird1234 Member

Darn, there too big for room. I really wanted something good too. Oh well guess i have to stick with what i have now.

15. Nephilim