1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 - 5+ hour dvd too big to fit in single disc, even with dvdshrink

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mrtrey77, Apr 13, 2005.

1. mrtrey77

mrtrey77 Guest

hey another newbie here with similar question.

i'm trying to back up a dvd with dvdshrink, except that the contents seem to be over 4.7G even if the automatic shrinking reduced it to 65%.

the red bar appears, and the green bar says 4464, the red bar says 5348. i tried to uncheck the menus, the red bar comes down to 4944.

i tried unchecking everything else but the contents are 0MB, and didn't affect the red bar's status.

i tried backing it up anyway with decrypter and the remaining 30% was not backed-up. obviously because the file was too big.

additional info: the dvd runs approximately 4-5 hours. and i'm using decrypter also.

doctors, any suggestions?

2. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Well first off your target size isn't 4.7gig.

most in here consider 4.36gig the max, the reason for this is 4.7gig is a sales ploy and over 4.36 takes the burn too close to the edge of the DVD, where (particularly with poor media) coasters are made.

see guides http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/tutorial007.html

and http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html

Best of luck, 'what's the name of the movie you're out to flatten?

regards gringle;)

3. Ppower

Ppower Regular member

How many Gb is your movie?

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

mrtrey77,
    Sounds like w/ a 10 gb movie that you will have to split the disk into 2 parts. A guide for doing that is here:

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/1for1_using_shrink.html

Are you sure that the film you are doing 1 of the movies is not widescreen and the other is fullscreen. If that is the case then just make the version you do not want into a still picture and process the version you want in Shrink

5. squizzle

squizzle Active member

That red bar shouldn't appear until you've compressed the film to about 48% of its original (unless you were just looking at the menus' compression or something like that). Default target size is about 4464 MB, I have no problem with that so I don't change it. Some people do have a problem with it, set it to 4300 MB if you're worried about it.

Getting rid of unwanted audio always helps too.

What movie is it?

I've used Shrink twice on the same files before, just when the first time didn't quite do the whole thing.

6. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

If you're in DVDSHrink, click on Author, then simply drag the main movie and drop it on the left hand side. Then check on the number on the bar to see if that helps any.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

If the actual movie is 4-5 hrs you may have to use a better (retail) transcoder/encoder or as stated by Car.Mike use 2 discs.

8. sdragon_

sdragon_ Member

Hey this might sound funny... but run it through DVD Shrink twice. I've had some movied that I backed up and it wouldn't give me compression less than 4.7 (4.3 is more like it) I got the crazy idea of opening it with DVD Shrink to see what happened, and to my surprize it was able to compress the already compress video down to the needed size. Seems funny that DVD Shrink can't do it right the first time... but I guess the second times a charm.

9. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

I think any 4 - 5hr movie should be done on two disks. As it is, a 2hr movie is decompressed a lot.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You're going to suffer a lot of quality loss running it through dvd shrink twice. If you're set on keeping it on one dvd5 your best alternative would be to use RB/CCE.

11. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Yes, you're right about that, but it's a way to get it all on a DVD5.

Apparantly, the algorithm used in DVD Shrink can only compress it so much. Then they are rewritten as VOB files or an ISO image. Now DVD Shrink can look at it again, and it sees a movie just like any other movie, but a lot smaller. So it can go through with its compressin' again.

12. mrtrey77

mrtrey77 Guest

wow guys thank you so much for all the tips and infos and guides. wheew! love this site.

gringle, the movie was sent from a chinese relative - some home movies. i don't know how they did it, wish i could ask but i ain't good in mandarin.

again guys, thank you so much! :)