1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 gigabyte limit??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pogah, Jun 20, 2004.

1. pogah

pogah Member

I am running Windows XP with NTFS file system on my Hard Disk yet I am encountering 4 gig limit on my DVD burns. I am burning with a Lite-On LDW-811S external burner connected with USB 2.0 onto 2X 4.7gb DVD-R's. When I reduce the total burn size to less than 4 gigs everything works fine, but when I exceed 4 gigs I get an error message at the end of my burn that reads "could not perform end of disc-at-once." This occurs with both Nero and Sonic MyDVD. Has anyone heard of this limitation? Can this be bypassed?

2. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

More info needed.

System specs please.

3. pogah

pogah Member

I am running a Toshiba Laptop (Satellite A35-S159). P4 2.3ghz, 512mg ram, 60gb hd with 25gb free space. Please let me know if you need any more specs.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I'm not sure I understand you correctly, are you trying to BURN larger files on a disc that only holds 4.3G's? Because if that's the case, you can't. All you can do is re-author and/or compress. Or, are you saying your PC won't let you WORK with files larger than 4G's?

5. pogah

pogah Member

The blank DVD-R's I am using have a capacity of 4.7G's. As long as the total amount of data is less than 4G's I can burn it without issue. Once the amount of data exceeds 4G's (though still less than 4.7G's) I get the following error message at the end of the burn "could not perform end of disc-at-once." Now I have read that Win 98 and Hard Disc's which run FAT file system have a 4G limit, but I am using neither of those. For some reason my PC/DVD burner combo still wont let me burn more than 4G's.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The limits on your DVD burns are probably because of cheap or dated media, some older brands used to only hold about 3.97 gigs.

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Even the new ones only hold 4.37.... 4.7 is a misnomer

8. conc

conc Member

I'm having a similar problem , but with dvd decrypter in ISO write mode. I can only copy a total of 4 gig to disk before I get an message saying I've reached the max file size, when I know I have another 26 gig or so up my sleeve. I don't have any problems copying in file mode, or ripping with other programs such as dvd shrink or smart ripper. Only with decrypter in ISO read mode. As for copying all files, or just movie with decryter???? No probs in the world.

Any help would be appreciated.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you have a system with a hard disc formatted to FAT32, you're limited to 4 gigs, if you buy cheap unnamed media you might be limited to 3.97 gigs, if none of that's true then check your settings with the applications you use.

10. conc

conc Member

Daaaaaaaaam, I'm running FAT 32.
    Is it a big job to get rid of FAT 32.
    Do I have to reformat and start again?
    If so, ISO can go to hell, as I'm having no probs at all with shrink, Recode, dvd2one, and so on...
    I presume the read in ISO decrypter mode writes to one file, as apposed to IFO mode where you can select what size file, and where to split them.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You'll have some problems with FAT32 but with some hair pulling and stress they can be overcome. Get a copy of DVD43 and try recording on the fly. If you're using Windows 2000 you can convert to NTFS witbout deleting your files. Either way if you want to truly take advantage of and get the most out of backing up movies you're going to have to upgrade.

12. conc

conc Member

I'm using dvd 43, but tend to re-author more than copy entire disk, so on the fly is out. I'd rather keep more space for movie rather than heavily compress to include adverts, extra scenes etc..
    I'm using XP on an old P3 system, 256 mg ram,
    Pioneer A05 burner, and so on.
    Is it possible to convert from Fat 32 to NTFS without having to reformat or delete files?
    As I said earlier. I'm having no probs except for ISO write with decrypter. All other programs work brilliantly.
    I've backed up many hundreds of movies with no more than 2 or 3 coasters.

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

conc,[bold]" using dvd 43, but tend to re-author more than copy entire disk, so on the fly is out"[/bold],???? I use dvd43 or anydvd all the time in recode while re-authoring on the fly.

14. forkndave

forkndave Member

15. conc

conc Member

Oh! I wasn't aware you could you could re-author on the fly with recode. I must give it a go. I've always copied the movie to disk using shrink, and then nero to burn.
    Do you think recode is better than shrink? I tend to think they've been developed by the same mob.
    Both brilliant mind you.
    Dvd2one and 321's Dvdxpress seem very much alike too !
    I'll give recode in re-author mode on the fly next time I have a dvd to back up !
    Many thanks for that.......

16. conc

conc Member

forkndave, many thanks for that.
    I'll check it out now..............

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

conc, same bunch, I like recode better, several reasons, still retains menu funtion after re-authoring, burn in the same program, pic quality is better.

18. pogah

pogah Member

Thank you sophocles and bigorange. I have generic compusa media. I will try some branded media and see if that solves the problem. Any brands you would recommend?

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Definitely, verbatim or my choice-ritekG04 branded. Meritline-.69ea./100w/free shipping.