1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 hours encoding time?????

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Acme8790, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

I am running on a celeron 666mhz processor, 40 gig HD, 320 ram, windows 98, Pioneer DVR-105. I am also using DVD shrink for the whole process. When sing shrink to start the backup, the encoding process takes anywhere from 3-4 hours. Then when I burn it using Nero with shrink it takes an other 45 minutes to an hour. For a total processing time of 4-5 hours. I am not sure but I read in here that most of you are doing the whole process in under an hour. An additional comment- I am backing up at 2x's

If someone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I thank you ahead of time

2. mrperry05

mrperry05 Guest

First of all i would reccomend buying Windows XP Home Edition, then i would check for spyware or adaware. Also are you running different progams at the same time (games,anti-virus........) because that could be the problem other than that its your settings

3. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

the computer I am using for backups is not hooked up to the internet. I reformmatted the hard drive and this machine is used soley for backing up my movies. The only thing running is shrink, explorer, and systray which I believe all need to be running. I think it has to do with my settings but I do not know how to go about making the proper settings. Thanks for responding.....

4. mrperry05

mrperry05 Guest

rite go into control panel then click on the SYSTEM icon------->then go to the hardware tab-----------> you should see something like device manager--------> then go to IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS click on the litte plus sign---------> then right click on PRIMARY IDE go to properties------------> go to the advanced tab they should be in DMA if available not PIO only.

reply after you have done this

5. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

I am pretty new at this so bare with me. But I looked in my device manager and did not find IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS in the device manager.

I did find a primary IDE but its under hard disk controllers. Is this the samething that you are talking about?

6. mrperry05

mrperry05 Guest

primary IDE channel?

7. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

no-primari IDE controller.

anotherthing, now I do not know if this is a good thing or bad thing. In the shrink settings I unchecked both quality settings and got it down to 1 hour and 15 minutes. will this hurt the quality of the picture?

Also in the primary ide controller there are notto many options. In my Cd rom drive I dheck marked DMA. I am hoping this will all help.

But let me know about the quality settings.
    I think you are right about the xp thing because on my new computer I found exactly what you were talking about. BUt on my old one which the Burner is on....does not have it and it could be because of windows 98

thanks for your help

8. mrperry05

mrperry05 Guest

it's alrite now give it a whizz in your dvd player and see if it's like the movies.

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Yes, the quality will be lessened.

Here's a link to enable DMA in Win98:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258757

Your machine is on the very low end for backing up movies but even so it shouldn't take anywhere near that long.

Let us know if this helps :)

10. mrperry05

mrperry05 Guest

Nephilim do you think deep anylasis on shrink is worth it or not

11. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

Thanks for all your help. It is alot quicker now. My compression rate for the main movie is above 90% so I dont use the deep anylasis quality option when burning or the other for that matter. Reading the threads it seems like people dont use it unless its under 80% compression.

One last thing, I read somewhere about that in Shrink there is an "Enable Overlap I/O" and that you want it check marked because it may improve ripping performance. I went to checkmark mine but it is shadded and wont give me that option. How can I use that option?

12. Nephilim

@mrperry05

Personally if there's compression to be done I'll use Deep Analysis. Most folks will use it if the percentage is 80% or more. Whether it's worth it or not is a subjective question. I usually recommend that folks try some rewritables and do some testing to see what works for them :)

@Acme8790

I've never used the Enable Overlap I/0 and don't see any need to if you're not having any problems. If it's greyed out I wouldn't sweat it :)

13. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

Thanks for everyones help. Now instead of over 4 hours to do the whole backup process, it now only takes me a little over an hour. Once again thanks.....and by the way....this forum rocks!!!!

14. Nephilim

Don't be a stranger now ;)

15. sylvister

sylvister Member

im having the same problem ats taking about 2 hours, and im running windows xp?? can u plz help me>??

16. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

~sylvister Give me the specs on your system. I have been reading in here that ram is a major issue for some people. How much ram do you have, what CPU, hard drive, are you useing shrink for your back up process....and so on.