1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 port HUB

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by SherylM, Apr 1, 2007.

1. SherylM

SherylM Member

A friend of mine gave me a 4 port entrega hub. Unfortunately, she didn't have the instruction book -- a really necessity for folks like me. I can't figure out how to hook it up. I get that there's a power plug in that powers the hub, and 4 ports, but there's another plug in on the hub shaped like a square with two corners cut off. I can't find any plug on the back of my computer that looks like that. Can someone point me in the right direction, please? Thanks so much.

2. onya

onya Guest

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Hi SherylM

As can be seen, both types of port are USB ports.
    There are type A-Ports, which take the end of the cable normally inserted into the PC ports.

Then there are type B-Ports, which are the connector sockets found on the equipment you connect onto the PC, these type of ports are found on printers, scanners etc...

You get a lead the the two types of connector on it, and insert the type A end into your PC, then the type B end into the Hub.

Now you can add 4 devices into the hub, like a scanner, printer, camera, or card reader.

As long as each device has a lead with a type A-connector to plug into the hub, then it can have any type of connector which mates up the the device, normally big items use the standard type B as seen here.

Smaller items such as cameras, Ipods have a smaller USB connector on the end.

Thus you can now connect up to 4 devices onto the PC whilst on using 1 of the PCs USB ports.

Hopefully this should explain exactly what you have.

As you'll see, the hub you have also allows for a separate power source to be connected, some USB hubs can work without external power supplied (depending on what device is connected, and how much current it draws) best to use the power supply with the hub if you have it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  4. SherylM

SherylM Member

Yes, that's it. I found that website, hoping for an instruction manual on line, but no cigar.

Looking at the picture on the side where the plug ins are, and for convenience (and my own lack of knowledge of better teminology) if the plug ins were numbered 1-6 (left to right) here's what I understand:

#1 is the power source plug which plugs into the wall. I do have the cord that came with it for that.

Numbers 2-5 are the ports where I can plug, for example, my keyboard or mouse. (sounds like this is a type A plug?)

It's #6 that's giving me the issue -- that little square kind of thing. I don't have anything already plugged into my computer with that shape plug. Is it optional -- like for some something that I don't have? Maybe the 'big item thing' you reference? Or do I need something else that I don't have to be able to use this hub?

Thanks again for your help. I love this website. You guys are great.

Sheryl

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  6. SherylM

SherylM Member

I do get it now!! Thank you all.

Sheryl