1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

478 Pentium 4 3.0E HT or CoreDuo?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Galvatr0n, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Galvatr0n

Galvatr0n Member

I have a Pentium 4 3.0E HT and its done wonders for me for the longest. and not to long ago, these new Core Duo's started hitting the market, thus everyone was talking about how great they are. I really cant bring myself to go out and get one of these yet. My main reasons are because there still pretty pricy, and you really cant utilize all of that power in my opinion unless your encoding video and playing a game. I do both, but not at the same time ;]. Is there a noticeable Increase in speed or proformance if i upgraded? Or would it be the same, except like a shoe thats too big, with extra space (power) at the end if/when you need it?

2. rodrigo19

rodrigo19 Member

the core 2 duos are better for video editing, games and decompressing rar files, but an advice is to wait a little bit longer because intel is going to lower the prices on all the core 2 duo series, but it definetly is an improvement over your pentium 4 specially if your running vista or planning on doing it later.

3. Galvatr0n

Galvatr0n Member

Awesome, thanx. Do you know around what time new upgrades come onto the market? i know its usually every 6 months or so. i just wanna get an idea as to when i can expect it to potentially drop.

4. rodrigo19

rodrigo19 Member

this is just a guess because they have not said anything, but I'm expecting it to happen before august ends.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Galvatr0n, what socket cpu are you using now as your thread title states 478 & dual core is for socket 775?

6. lucifa666

lucifa666 Guest

sorry to but in but i just bought a laptop with core duo (not core 2 duo) and i run vista on it. when i buy games ment for windows xp thay dont work on vista is this normal? also when the game reqires a pentium 4 3.0 it workes shit on intel core duo 1.73 even though i have a fair bit of ram, unless it just the video card!!! any suggestion on how to make my laptop work better would be great! its a toshiba satallite A100 intel core duo 1.73 1gb ram 80gb hd not quite sure what the video card is! 256mb i think

7. Galvatr0n

Galvatr0n Member

yeah, its a 478. i know i would have to upgrade my mobo if i did get a Duo lol. I was just wondering if it was worth getting a Duo if my current processor (i guess) isnt that weak next to the Duo cpus. in short, how much better is the Core Duo's to mine, the pro's the cons, and is it worth it?

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

lucifa666, don't hijack somebody elses thread as you already have a thread on that. hijacking a thread is a forum rule no no.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Core 2 Duos are vastly more powerful than the P4s, even the slowest model is 50% faster outright in a single core, and there are two of them! Plus for low expense, you can get the E6600 which compared to a 3Ghz P4 will blow your mind. However, this all depends how much you need processing power for. Video encoding would be the biggest improvement, games would also see a benefit. Browsing the web, opening windows etc, not sure whether much would change.

10. lucifa666

lucifa666 Guest

sorry DDP!!! but i ant getting much help in my thred

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I believe I replied to your thread, if you've set up another, direct me to it.