1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4G DVD Creations

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Ringgy, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Ringgy

Ringgy Member

I'm working on taking a DVD ripping it to the hard drive (I've used SmartRipper and DVD Decrypter)I then am trying to get the VOB to be read in Vegas Video 4. The problem is that VV4 only sees the video and not the sound. So I then go back to the original VOB on the HD and try to create the sound file (I've used TMPGenc, AC3Decoder). The problem here is that on such a large file the sound isn't in sync. Maybe the first few minutes are but then it looks very crappy. I see in VV4 that the files are different in actual length. If I pull it to the end only end minutes are synched etc. I've even gone as far as using the Converters to get the file into another format that I thought VV4 would see. Can someone please tell me what I may be doing wrong? I can only assume that I don't have a particular Codec installed that VV4 wants to see but I can't seem to find it, nor do I really know how to install it. I'm assuming this because other programs can actually see the ripped VOB and the sound is correct.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Ringgy, Is the DVD you are ripping a regular commercial dvd movie?? Your ripping process sounds OK but I'm confused as to why you are using VV4. Is this just something you are playing with to learn how to use? There are many better ways to get a ripped dvd back onto blank media that will keep everything in sync. I'm not sure what you want to do.

Jerry

3. Ringgy

Ringgy Member

hmmm... I guess the answer is yes and yes. It does have commercials and I would like to get rid of them. And I would like to change the order of the mini-movies. I'm also using DVD Lab to place my own menus on them when I'm done. And, Yes I'm playing around to get the process right. If there is a better way to edit the files than Vegas Video please let me know?

4. daba

daba Guest

Hi Ringgy,

NeroVision Express (shipped with Nero 6) can edit a VOB file. And the sound stayed in synch during my few tests. The problem is that NeroVision is likely to re-encode the VOB file when you save it (after editing). And so you'll lose the original image quality.

Notice you would have the same problem with any MPEG-editing tool. The only way to preserve image quality is:
    1) turn the VOB file into a losless encoding, such as DV AVI (which is almost losless);
    2) edit the AVI file with Windows Movie Maker or Premiere or whatever;
    3) encode the AVI with a good MPEG encoder, such as CCE or TMPGEnc
    4) rebuild the final DVD with an authoring tool, such as DVDAuthorGui or TMPGEnc DVD Author.

Not that simple...

There is another way: the re-authroing features of DVD Shrink (freeware). You can re-order the titles of a DVD. If the mini-movies are in the same title, you can use the 'Set start/end frames' feature to cut a mini-movie out of the title and export it as a separate VIDEO_TS folder. When you have all your mini-movies as separate VIDEO_TS folders, you can join them back together in the order you want (using Shrink again). [bold]That way you won't lose any quality.[/bold]

Finally you can demux the VOB files of the joined movies and import them into DVD-Lab where you can create your own menu.

Enjoy...

Daba

5. Ringgy

Ringgy Member

I've been thinking about the answers and that now has created a bunch of additional questions.
    1) If AVI is going to give me the best quality overall then what is the software used to go from VOB to AVI?
    2) What is the software used to edit the AVI in term of A) making small movies files from the larger movie (small chapter movies)? B) making a big movie (from multiple DVD sources?
    I like the way the movie itself is edited in VV4 as you can just highlight and cut and paste to create whatever you wish. Are you doign the same with Windows Media Maker?

6. daba

daba Guest

Sorry Ringgy, usually I convert from AVI to VOB. I don't know exactly how to do it the other way around. First you must demux the VOB file into MPEG elementary streams. Maybe IfoEdit or VobEdit can help. Then you can convert the MPEG streams to an AVI file. Have a look at MPEG2AVI or VirtualDubMod.

Regarding splitting and merging AVI files, any video-editing tool is able to do so. It's very basic video editing. Be aware that Movie Maker has trouble saving large AVI files (more than 1 GB on my PC). It seems to be a common problem (I saw other people complaining). No fix is offered by Microsoft...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2004