1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4x or 8x disc problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by PghPens, Apr 14, 2005.

1. PghPens

PghPens Guest

Complete newbie so sorry for the inane question, but here's my problem. My 8x discs take almost twice as long to burn as my 4x discs. I read the previous forum about 8x & 4x discs but I don't even know what my settings are or how to change 'em. I did check to see if my DMA was on (whatever that is) and it was set right. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I just bought 200 8x discs. I would hate to wait 20 mins. for each burn, when using the 4x only took about 10 mins. Thanks for any help.

2. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

It should take 15 min @ 4x for 4.7GB and half that for 8x.

What software are you using to write ?

3. PghPens

PghPens Guest

I'm have an NEC DVD+RW ND 2100AD burner and haven't found any firmware upgrades. Also using ICopyDVDs2 software. When using Sony or Memorex media(both 4x) a normal burn will take about 12 mins. But burning the same movie with HP or Memorex (both 8x) takes about 20 mins.

4. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

You should run the disc thur DVD Info to make sure it is 8x. It also has a speed test that could be helpful.

http://www.dvdinfopro.com

Firmware updates.

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_search.php

I cant help w/ICopyDVDs2. You could download DVD Decrypter (free) and try writing with it as a comparison.

5. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

I just want to say I had a really slow computer and I always selected 2x or 4x because 8x went slower. Run your Diskinfo like the member said find what speed you max out at, then use that - is there any reason to go higher, anyone?

6. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

I just want to say I had a really slow computer and I always selected 2x or 4x because 8x went slower. Run your Diskinfo like the member said find what speed you max out at, then use that - is there any reason to go higher, anyone?

7. Lennme

Lennme Member

I find that 4x is a perfectly fine speed for burns. Even though I can burn 4x media at 8x, the 4x is much more reliable. 15 min. per disk is not a burden. Plus 4x Riteks are dirt cheap these days. Also, I couldn't savor my beverage of choice with an 8x burn like I can at 4x!

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i would also stick to 4x until you're 100% that the burnt discs are fine (ie do crc checks or watch films thru). Couple nights ago I finally burnt 2 of my 8x Verbatims at 8x (normally stick to 4x). I ended up with 2 discs with crc errors. went back to 4x and no more errors. My kit/software/firmware/media/settings/media are all spot on but still staying at 4x, as i have many 100s of Verbatim 8x [bold]done at 4x[/bold] that are 100%. Just my five cents.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Known crap media, and maywell be that your burner does not fully support these discs.

I would do as suggested, check them with infopro, but would consider changing brand of media..................

10. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

If you have decrypter too it will state what speeds the media supports. I too agree never burn above 4x I have a 16 x speed burner but prefer the quality over quickness 15-20 minutes is not long to wait. ---zen-->

11. baabaa

baabaa Active member

To true, I prefer a warm cup of Horlicks and a wordsearch.............