1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 audio

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by gregerm, Aug 17, 2006.

1. gregerm

gregerm Member

If I have a cable that goes from the little headphone jack and splits into a right and left RCA plug and run it to my stereo reciever will that work in 5.1 and will it hurt my sound card?

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Simple answer is No.

If it's a stereo mini plug, and it plugs into an [bold]A/V[/bold] receiver, with Dolby Pro Logic capabilities, then you may get Pro Logic surround (simulated surround). Pro Logic takes a stereo signal, and splits it into a simulated surround, using all the speakers.

But, you said "run it to your [bold]Stereo[/bold] receiver". You won't get [bold]any kind[/bold] of surround, from a stereo receiver.

For actual 5.1 surround, you [bold]must[/bold] have an A/V receiver, capable of Dolby Digital decoding. Plus, the source material (cd or dvd), [bold]must[/bold] have been recorded with 6 discreet channels.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  3. gregerm

gregerm Member

sorry, yes it's an A/V receiver with dolby. So it should work on my home theater without buying and expensive sound card with actual rca outputs fine?

4. JVC

JVC Active member

I've never actually done this myself, so I can't swear to it. But if the mini plug is a [bold]stereo[/bold] mini plug, and not a mono mini plug, and the rca jacks are plugged into an input (such as cd or vcr input), that will enable Pro Logic, for it's output, I [bold]think[/bold] it should work.(Don't forget to push the button on front, for which input you use. It's easy to forget, and then wonder why you don't hear anything).

With my old iMac, I ran a cable from my receiver, to the mic input in computer(stereo mini plug from Radio Shack), and could record to the HD, whatever played through receiver (cd, radio, etc.). That's how I recorded music from concert dvds, to cd. Also how I recorded my albums to cd.
    This isn't exactly the same as you're trying to do, but just pointing out how I was able to use the stereo mini plug, between computer and receiver.

So, play around with it, and see if you can get it figured out.
    Let us know how it goes?
    Good luck!

5. wildo2ne

wildo2ne Member

you can do it if your sound card supports 5.1, if not then no, but pro logic will work, if you do need true 5.1, get a soundblaster live 5.1 or audigy, they are both able to do what you want.

6. CODO69

CODO69 Guest

I just got a PIII comp from Alaska's state surplus for $5, and it had a SB LIVE! 5.1 card in it. Being that it has a year of about 2003, is it still a good audio card? So far it sounds good, but i only have 2 speackers with a 8W sub. (my mom has a SB surround system she doesnt use anymore, going to try and get it. Its only 4 satelite speakers with sub)