1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 DVD audio problem (Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, win xp, 5.1 analog, powerDVD, winDVD)

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 3bop, Jul 6, 2004.

1. 3bop

3bop Guest

This has to do with DVD playback. I have tried both powerDVD and winDVD, and they both have the same problem.

The dvd's audio play fine when I select stereo mode (even though everything is set up with 5.1 analog), however when I try to play a dvd with 5.1 channels selected in either dvd player the sound is garbled and choppy. When I go back to stereo (again within the dvd player) everything is fine. All EAX is disabled and I have the latest AC3 codec. Video games work fine in surround. All software is completely up to date.

My setup:
    Klipsch promedia ultra 5.1 (analog)
    Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
    Win XP

What I want:
    5.1 DVD audio

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

It sounds to me as if you are not actually acecessing the Dolby Digital files correctly.
    How, exactly, are things set up?
    Also, what AC3 codec are you using, and where did you get it from?

3. 3bop

3bop Guest

I got this filter http://ac3filter.sourceforge.net/

But I realize this may be unrelated to what I need.

How exactly are things set up? Hm,

My DVD rom feeds into my audigy 2 ZS Plat Pro card through the internal S/PDIF (Digital CD-input). I'm not exactly sure how things work, do the audio signals feed through this line when playing DVD's or is that for CD's only? In the sound blaster settings all the EAX options are disabled (no environment fx, no upmixing), digital output is disabled, everything is setup for analog. All my drivers are up-to-date (same problem occured before updating everything).

I don't know what else to say about my setup.

I think the problem lies within the codec perhaps, if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

3bop

Which version of PowerDVD do you have? the OEM versions Power DVD or WinDVD only play two channel stereo, to get surround sound you have to upgrade to the Deluxe versions. That was the bad news the good news is that you can go for a PowerDVD upgrade for $24.95 if you have a licensed OEM version.

5. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Ditch that filter!
    All it is going to do is turn stereo files into a matrixed version, not proper 5.1 at all, plus from reading it's notes it will automatically "prefer" itself over anything else.

Also Sophocles made a valid point too.

6. 3bop

3bop Guest

I have the deluxe versions of both, they both support up to 7.1 (none of the dials are greyed out in the audio options).

I think I will try ditching the codec, but I had the problem before I installed it too.

I am consulting with creative support, but they have not been able to help me after a good volley of messaging.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I have the same creative card and I use PowerDVD Deluxe and I get great surround sound so it would seem that you may have a software/codec issue. I would also recommend that you take Wilkes' advice and "ditch the filter."

8. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

They are genuine copies, yes?
    I have seen this problem before on downloaded versions, as they are missing the correct codecs despite what you think you have.

There is the directshowAX filter missing from these versions.

9. 3bop

3bop Guest

The Problem:

My DVD-rom drive was stuck in PIO mode due to windows DMA error

The Solution:

Deleting MasterIdCheckSum on Secondy IDE channel in Registry and letting windows redetect Ultra DMA mode 2. Then I had problems with my DVD players showing video, but I uninstalled all three (PowerDVD, WinDVD, and ATI multimedia center DVD player) and just installed WinDVD (The best IMO).

Everything is great now. All I have to worry about is Windows forcing my DVD drive into PIO mode again.

Helpful link:

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

Thanks for all the help, although I had beeen looking in all the wrong places.

10. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

If that does happen, you can easily switch into DMA mode from Control Panel/system.

That codec is still NFG though.
    Dump it.

11. 3bop

3bop Guest

Yes, it should be easy. But windows locks it with the errors (trust me I tried using the device manger and restarting). They say it should be fixed in service pack two. The best way to do it (don't uninstall anything)is to just delete the Id's in the registry.

12. 3bop

3bop Guest

Oh, and I did dump the codec, of course. I didn't know what I needed to begin with, I installed it out of ignorance.

13. Giannicd

Giannicd Guest

hello all of you!

for people that have the same problen that i had.

my problems was the next

I have an audigy2 ZX conect to a receiver yamaha RX-v995 by analog output.

when i use WindowsMedia for play for example Tom Jones 5.1 dolby digital dvd i just only hear music from Front Speakers( with All EAX is disabled).
    but when i used "CMSS 3D" of EAX a hearded from all of the speaker(fronts,central,sub and rears).
    but that doesn't that i expect from DVD.

my solution:
    i installed the "AC3Filter v0.7b by Vigor Alexander"
    so in windows media (when i play my 5.1 DVD video) i went to options-dvd and advanced
    (i suppose, becasuse i have it in spanish)
    there, open propierties of AC3Filter.
    there 5 options
    the first: main, shows that my DVD has already 6 diferents channels. but i still listen just in the front Speaker. so Go to the Mixer option and there, at right under "mixer matrix" disable the "Automatrix option" so now yuo can configure as yo like.

my setup in marix is:

L-Center-R-SL-SR-LFE
    1-0-0-0-0-0:L'
    0-4-0-0-0-0:C'
    0-0-1-0-0-0:R'
    0-0-0-3-0-0:SL'
    0-0-0-0-3-0:SR'
    0-0-0-0-0-1:SW'

i hope this wil be usefull for someone.

i spend 1 week in this problem. :(

pd: sorry for my english

14. silvest

silvest Member

wat does a filter do actually??

15. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

A filter gets rid of something in a file. It is hard to explain. For example a deinterface filter gets rid of interlace in video files.