1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 on computer

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by mr-cube, Feb 8, 2006.

1. mr-cube

mr-cube Member

I have my sound card pluged into a 5.1 decorder but the decorder is about to go. So my question is can I plug the speakers into a certain kind of sound card and use my computer as a decoder. I need a sound card that has plugs for the speakers not a plug that goes into a decoder. Is there such a card and where can I get one?

2. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

If they are similar to a 1/8 headphone jack then all you need is a 5.1 surround soun card or higher

3. mr-cube

mr-cube Member

no this has the speakers with 2 wires. most 5.1 surrond cards only have a digatal output to plug it into a decorder, that is what I have now. Is there any thing I can do?

4. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

yeah i see like reg speaker wire. Hmmm dont know what to tell yeah then. Sorry!

5. mr-cube

mr-cube Member

anyone else?

6. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

are you referring to the creative labs dtt2500 (desktop theater 5.1 digital) with the included decoder? - i have this hooked to my son's pc.

here's what i think: if the decoder goes the problem can't be fixed with a new sound card. practically all sound cards need to be hooked to some sort of amplifier then to the speakers. the decoder not only handles the digital 5.1 signal but also provides amplification so if it goes the speakers become useless. they cannot be plugged directly to the sound card. when you buy new 5.1 speakers like the logitech z550 digital the system comes with amplification.

most newer sound cards can do the decoding. the 6, 7 or 8 channel output still has to have amplification before the speakers.

sorry. anyone else have any ideas?

7. dvdsoul

dvdsoul Member

Can someone tellme what is required to have 5.1 sound from PC? I was thinking 5.1 Sound card and speaker. Is there anything that one need? Also in Home Theatre's we need to use Optical Cable or Co-Axial cable to get a true 5.1 effects. How does that work in PC? Can someone let me know these basic things. Thank you.

8. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

9. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

Also most decent sound cards have a optical input and output.

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I have an old Sant Cruz Turtle Beach sound card. I puts out 5.1 stereo but I only have 4.1 THX Altec Lansing Dolby Digital speakers. They sound great without the center channel. They are amplified with in my speaker system. You may have to have a 5.1 dolby Amp to play 5.1 sound.