1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 surround (DVD/CD player to receiver) 2 point & 6 point connections

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by bomber07, Nov 2, 2008.

1. bomber07

bomber07 Member

Hello,

Hope I can please get some info here !

I have 2 home theatre systems, both differ to each other in the way you connect the DVD/CD player to the receiver.

Why does one receiver have 6 points to plug into, but the other receiver only has 2 points to plug into, even though both receivers are marked as "5.1 ch surround systems" ?

What is the difference ?
    Are they the same ?

eg.

TYPE 1 between DVD/CD player and receiver you connect the following 6 plugs individually :

front left
    front right
    front centre
    back (surround) left
    back (surround) right
    subwoofer
    ----------------

TYPE 2 between DVD/CD player and receiver you only connect the following 2 plugs :
    DVD IN L + R.

Thanks!

2. bomber07

bomber07 Member

OK, so I'm sure that on a receiver which only has a 2 point input (DVD L + R) there is a coaxial point, I think the coaxial point will do the same as it would if it had a 6 point input ?, am I correct ?

I know DVD-Audio does not use the coaxial cable...
    If I compile a number of standard CD's (shop purcahsed) at 48khz 24bit onto an Audio-DVD would there be a difference between using a 6 point connection and 2 point connection ?

Thanks

3. bomber07

bomber07 Member

I read that to play DVD-Audio you have to use the 6 point connection and that it does not use the coaxial cable...
    But I'm not sure that is right, maybe the newer players can play DVD-Audio through the coaxial input ?
    I know that my DVD-Audio plays when I only have the coaxial plugged in..., but maybe it's not playing in true 5.1 ?