1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 Surround, Help..

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by Greddy87, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Greddy87

Greddy87 Member

Hello everyone.. Im really new to this whole 5.1 surround stuff..I dont have a reciever.. All I have is a DVD/ Reciever with 4, speakers, 1 subwoofer box, and 1 Center channel.. Im trying to get the best sound possible, although my Sony Bravia 5.1 system has one output for RCA analog, 1 for YPBR output, 1 for S-Video and 1 for Hdmi.. I have an LCD TV, Its a Sony bravia.. Im trying to get cable tv, Xbox 360, Computer sound to come out of my 5.1 surround.. I have one input from my tv that is RCA Analog.. I have connected that wire and it works for all my equipment but the sound qaulity is poor and I would have to raise the volume louder. Is there any other way..? I dont want to buy a reciever.. Thank you for ur time..

2. JVC

JVC Active member

You're gonna have to buy a decent receiver, to do what you want. The biggest problem with HTIBs (home theater in a box), other than the speakers, is that they don't have enough inputs, to hookup everything that most people wants to hookup. The number of inputs is a major consideration, even when buying receivers, especially digital inputs. Digital inputs are the only way of getting real 5.1/7.1 surround sound, or the 7.1 multi-channel analog inputs used by some blu ray players. The best you can get from the red and white rca analog inputs, is Pro Logic (simulated surround). You can get a very good receiver now days for under $400...........

3. Greddy87

Greddy87 Member

Thank you.. I ended up buying a RCA Analog switch box so I can conviently have all the inputs i want with a click of a switch.. Its good for now... Although I would definitly upgrade to a reciever in the future..

4. JVC

JVC Active member

With analog switch box, you're not getting surround! The best you can get is simulated surround. If that's all you want, you can buy a Pro Logic receiver off Craig's List pretty cheap, and have plenty of power and can probably get plenty of inputs.

With what you've posted in this thread, and the thread about using the tv's speakers, you're completely defeating the purpose of having a Dolby Digital home theater system! Sorry, I'm just calling it the way I see it.