1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 wont work sometimes

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by tpk1985, Dec 28, 2009.

1. tpk1985

tpk1985 Member

hi guys any ideas you have i thank you.

OK hear it is i have a LG receiver kind of a older one but still gets the job done. i also have a bluray player. now how i have this wired is i have HDMI out of bluray to TV and then Fiber Optic audio out from tv into LG recever. i get sound but no 5.1 when watching a bluray movie.
    i have my xbox 360 wired the same way and i get 5.1 all day long. now hears the part i dont understand. say im watching a preview on the bluray b4 the movie starts amd it plays in 5.1 if i put in a normal dvd that plays 5.1 i get 5.1 on everything but the main movie on bluray. any ideas.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

The 5.1 you hear from the Xbox, is simulated 5.1 surround (Dolby Pro Logic II).
    The optical output on the tv is ONLY for getting 5.1 surround, from local HD channels, via the built-in tuner, while using an antenna. It is not meant for a daisy chain connection, like you're trying to use. For the few tvs that will pass audio that way at all, they will downmix the 5.1 signal to 2.0, and send that to the receiver. The receiver will take a stereo signal, and matrix it to a simulated 5.1 surround. I'll bet that's what you're hearing, and not real 5.1 surround. Look it up in your tv's owner's manual.

You need to run the HDMI from the blu ray to tv for video, and fiber optic (optical) cable from blu ray to LG receiver for audio. Make sure the blu ray player is set to output the audio as "Bitstream", in it's setup menus. Do this same connection with the Xbox 360. If your LG receiver has only one optical input, you can get one of these, to fix that: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946&seq=1&format=2