1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

500gb discs!!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by nottyer, Oct 30, 2006.

1. nottyer

nottyer Member

We all know blu-ray discs can hold up to around 50gb on a dual layer disc using a blue laser to write the information on the disc. But pioneer have now started to develop a new ultra-violet laser, which they say is so accruate it will be able to write 500gb onto a disc!! Just think thats 10 my computers on to one disc, just imagine the qualtiy of dvd's, gaming...in 10-20 years time!

2. emachine

emachine Guest

Blu-ray has a 100gig disk...

3. nottyer

nottyer Member

ok im sorry!! but 500gb is still 5x bigger than bluray

4. emachine

emachine Guest

Oh dude no need for apology. I was just stating that blu-ray had that also you should get the article and submit it to the news on here.

5. nottyer

nottyer Member

www.dvd-recordable.org/Article1632-mode=thread-order0-threshold0.phtml

theres similar articals, just google it!

6. emachine

emachine Guest

naw dude sumit it to the afterdawn news.

7. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

8. meyer_m

meyer_m Regular member

I assume he is referring to the HVD right?

9. sagara

sagara Member

that's pretty neat. blu-ray has 200gb discs. it's like 33.3gb per layer, with 6 layers.

10. emachine

emachine Guest

500gb disks... if I got one of those it would be bigger than my hard drive by oh well just 420 gigs lMAO

11. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

That's pretty amazing. Is that just single layer? If so Dual-layer, double sided = 2 TB?

12. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

I think this is a conventional technology; HVD is a 3D technology and uses green lasers, whereas this uses UV and, from what it appears, mostly conventional construction, just higher pit densities.

HVD is already quoting 1 TB discs and has demonstated 3.9 TB on a single disc. InPhase is already doing 1.6 TB discs.

http://www.hvd-alliance.org/

13. meyer_m

meyer_m Regular member

HVD actually uses a red laser in conjuction with a blue-green laser that together form the holographic layer but yes together I would imagine a greenish color.

14. pyromast

pyromast Member

I guess this may eliminate the need for HDD's just to be replaced by opticals. And with encryption disk will be safer as well as space savers.

15. kealvalro

kealvalro Guest

awesome man but will the price for this ultra-violet burner be expensive.did any of u guys bought a blue-ray burner yet.i was thinking of getting a plextor PX-B900A but it will go to wast if i do not know if i can burn bigger disc

16. taltamir

taltamir Guest

it woun't replace harddrives, at MOST you would change the harddrives structures to use optics instead of magnetics, and thats not going to happen either since you dont have the REWRITE capability (ie, the ability to rewrite one sector over and over and over reliably) of a HDD on an optical drive (or access speeds). Harddrives are also constantly increasing in space and seem to have an edge over optics at the moment.

And encryption doesn't make it MORE safe it makes it LESS safe. Encryption is to prevent you from copying someone else's content, they sell you a disk, but the content is theirs. Encryption reduces speed, reliabilty, and size. But movie and audio studies are so afraid of people burning copies that they get everything encrypted... Ofcourse the encryptions are always broken, resulting in just a waste of money to manufacturers and consumers (more expensive hardware, research, etc, etc)... Or rather, more profits for the people behind the encryption tech.

17. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Agreed. However, it's the attitude that consumers are to be milked like freakin' cows to buy the same content over and over again is what might keep me from adopting ANY of these new formats.

@kealvalro-
    Don't bother with a BR burner yet. Gotta see how the technology pans out.

18. taltamir

taltamir Guest

Consumers are the source of revenue (ie food) to companies. Some cultures developed that into the notion that the consumer is a master/god/king/benefactor/etc which basically translates into "the consumer is always right". Others translated it to "we are farmers and the consumers are cattle". If they can GET AWAY WITH IT then the cattle approach is much more beneficial for the companies, and as such they have every right to use it. I choose to only do business with places that treat me as a king rather then cattle, if people are dumb enough (like cattle) to choose to be led to the slaughter house, let them.

So yea, I am definatly NOT buying the same content over again...
    The only thing that bothers me is the prolification of laws forcing ALL consumers to be shafted, aquired by the bribing of politicians (AKA, "lobbying")