1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6.1 or 7.1 codec in 5.1 receiver

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by kpuz, May 9, 2008.

1. kpuz

kpuz Member

Hi everyone, I'm a serious newb and I would appreciate some help.
    I am thinking of getting a surround sound reciever and i only have money for the 5.1 channel recievers. I have some movies that only have 6 channel outputs (i don't know if this means they are 5.1 audio or 6.1 audio, perhaps someone could clear up my confusion). I want to know if it is possible for a 5.1 reciever to somehow mix the 6.1 or 7.1 audio so it can be heard on only the 5 speakers.
    Thanks in advance

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

I'm with kpuz, I want to know too!

3. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

I'd say probably yes, but depends on the receiver(?). I'm running 4 speakers, 2 Fronts (large), and 2 Surrounds off my Yamaha 663 and I think i'm getting everything.

BTW kpuz,

What's your price range for a receiver?

4. dublin07

dublin07 Guest

hey hobbit need help i have 2 front speakers,2 surround,subwoofer and a center speaker but i cant seem to hook them up to my tv there are three connections on my speaker box to go into my tv but i dont know how to do it i want all them playing on my ps3,the 3 connections are called (front(stereo))sorround(input)and CE/SW what do i do

5. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

I'm far from being the expert here.

First off, what is the make and model of your tv?

What's this "speaker box"? Do you have a "home theater in a box" too?

Again, need make & models of your speakers.

I'm thinking you probably won't be able to get them all hooked up without getting a receiver, unless you have a "home theater in a box".

And I don't have a ps3 so have no idea what kind of audio connections it has.