1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6 hours 11 minutes for

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by adult33, Mar 16, 2005.

1. adult33

adult33 Guest

TOMB RAIDER ? COME ON NOW ive changed everything from poi to dma ! got more mem went to 512 might do a gig in the morning ? i have a celeron 2.4 with 512 ram and it cant take 7 hours to encode a movie with shrink . somthing is not correct ! could some one please elaborate why the this takes so long ? I have a dell inspiron 1100 laptop ! i am seriously thinking about setting this thing ablaze and getting A IBM like i should have in the first place ! Some thing isnt right ! hhhhhhhheeeeeeeellllllllllpppppppppppp

2. adult33

adult33 Guest

just to add buy the time i was able to add this post it went to 8 damm hours !

3. john179

john179 Active member

If your having problem with speed try using a dvd ripper like dvd decrypter or smart ripper and then compress with dvd2one and burn with something like Nero.Check out some of the guides on how to use this software from the links below.This may work quicker for yourself is worth a try.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/

4. brobear

brobear Guest

When you open the Secondary IDE Channel Properties window, what does it say in the box beside Current Transfer Mode? Did you check this following reboot when you selected "DMA if available" as the Transfer Mode?

5. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

remember that it depends on the speed of the drive also... we have some hp laptops here and the dvd burners cant recognise RW media... and take ages to xfer data... due to slow busses internally and slow drives...

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

adult33,

hey just for curiosity sake try this and still see if your having the same problem. Go to my website the link is in my signature and use the very first guide there to back up Tombraider. If you are still having problem's after doing it that way then there may be some issues with your computer we need to look at// Let us know how it goes..

Good Luck :)

7. brobear

brobear Guest

I'm still curious as to what it says in the "Current Transfer Mode" box. I've seen too many people select DMA if available only to have the PC reboot in PIO.

Once DMA settings are rechecked and the drives are definitely in DMA in "Current Transfer Mode" (following the reboot), then I'd look elsewhere and start asking questions as to the system specs of the PC being used. Even with a slow PC, unless it's an antique, and all of Shrink's quality settings in use, the recording process shouldn't take over 3 or 4 hours with a big movie. And that is "creepy crawly" slow.

With the system adult33 described, Shrink should do a "big" movie in about 2 1/2 to 3 hours with quality settings. That is unless the system resources have been depleted, i.e. not enough available RAM. With a condition like that, the background programs and processes not being used could be turned off.

Tomb Raider didn't have any difficult encryption, so I don't think the decryption software would be a problem in this case. Something to check with newer movies though.

Ripping with either Shrink or DVD Decrypter takes about the same amount of time. Rip the movie to the hard drive in file mode with Decrypter and see how long it takes. http://www.dvddecrypter.com Quick start, virtual guides can be found at http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php for both Shrink and Decrypter. Doing the rip separately will tell if the problem is with the system or with Shrink. The rip should take only 15 to 20 minutes at the longest.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2005
  8. adult33

adult33 Guest

Dell inspiron 2.4 g celeron ! I am running 256 for ram , i have hardley anything running in the back round , the IDE drives are set for DMA and would be mode 5 , the laptop has a 20 gig drive and it has 12.8 gigs open for what ever i need to do ! , i just dont understand why the this thing is running so slow to do things ! I ve even pulled the cat 5 cable out and disabled the nic card , The only thing that is running is dvdshrink , and explorer to put the files that it encodes to the folder i specified ! It is since last night when i wrote the first post is 9 hours later and i still am backing up and tomb raider and it has 55 minutes left that was from 1:00am last night it is now 10:44 now ! Some thing is realy wrong i need to know what it is !

9. adult33

adult33 Guest

Im not using rw media i am using Memorex 8x dvd-r's i have a LiteOn 16x dvd+-R +-rw drive it has a mx speed of 48x write with cd-r's im using it via usb with a NexStart.2 external enclosure USB 2.0 its installed correctley for the usb ! it shouldnt be this slow ! i might go and get another dvd player and do the same via usb , The drive that the dell came with for cd -rw/dvd might be a pile of rat droppings ! That might be possible !

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I believe it is your just your laptop DVDRW drive. They are not known to be very good. That is why I suggested the method in my guide. You are trying to do everything off of the drive. If you would use Decrypter first to rip the movie to your drive first that could relieve some of the strain on your DVDRW drive. This is why I suggest the first guide at my website. Then if the Commpression is taking a long time we can start to narrow down the cause. I wasn't trying to imply it was a software issue actually the opposite, but the method used to backup the movie can help figure out were the problem may be... :)

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well the USB external drive would have been good info earlier :) The DMA wouldnt have much to do with that. Again though if you try that first guide at my website it could provide some insight to your problem.. :)

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Anyone wanting to speculate on the system can go ahead. I posted the general specs on the system below. The FSB is a bit low at 400MHz, but that wouldn't account for the excessively slow speeds mentioned. The RAM is a bit low at 256MB but within minimum specs for doing DVD backups. (Quite a bit lower than the 512 MB initially claimed.) One question is the drive configuration used for ripping and burning the movie. [bold]I believe BBmayo pointed out a flaw there. We both agree you should use DVD Decrypter to lighten the load and check the system.[/bold] Laptops are used for DVD backup work, but due to the heat build up associated with the CPU intensive work involved, most people use a desktop whenever possible.

General
    Processor Type Intel Pentium 4 or Intel Celeron 2GHz - 2.4GHz [bold](2.4GHz Celeron)[/bold]
    Front Side Bus Speed 400MHz
    Chipset Type Intel 845GL
    Max. RAM Size 1GB [bold](256MB RAM)[/bold]
    Memory Slots Number 2
    RAM Type DDR PC2100 266MHz 2.5V SODIMM
    Hard Disk Controller UltraATA 100
    Internal Drives HDD and Optical
    Standard HDD Sizes: [bold]20GB (with 12.8GB free)[/bold], 30GB, 40GB, 60GB
    Optical Drives Options:
    CD-ROM drive
    DVD drive
    CD-RW drive
    [bold](DVD/CD-RW combo drive)
    LiteOn 16x DVD +/- RW drive via usb with a NexStart.2 external enclosure USB 2.0[/bold]
    Audio Sigmatel 9750 AC97 with stereo front-mounted 4-ohm speakers
    Pointing Device TouchPad 240dpi (Synaptics)
    Dimensions (W x D x H) With 14.1-inch display: 12.9" (328 mm) x 10.8" (274 mm) x 1.72" (43.7 mm)
    With 15-inch display: 12.9" (328 mm) x 10.8" (274 mm) x 1.83" (46.5 mm)
    Weight From 7.35 lb (3.33 kg) to 7.9 lb (3.6 kg) depending on screen size and battery type
    Display
    Screen TFT XGA 14.1" (or 15") 1024 x 768
    Graphics Card Direct AGP integrated graphics with shared memory (up to 32MB with 128MB of system memory or up to 64MB with 256MB or more system memory)
    Maximum External Resolution (CRT) 1600 x 1200 x 32 bits at 85Hz
    Ports/Interfaces
    PC Card Slots One Type II CardBus slot with 3.3V and 5V cards support.
    Modem V92 56kb/s MDC softmodem - RJ11 connector
    LAN 10/100 Ethernet integrated in chipset - RJ45 connector
    Parallel Port no
    Serial RS232 Port no
    PS/2 Port no
    VGA yes
    USB Port Two USB 2.0 compliant
    FireWire/IEEE-1394 Port optional
    TV-Out Port S-Video + Composite (with adapter) - 7-pin mini-DIN connector
    Port Replicator Port no
    Other microphone connector + stereo headphone/speakers connector
    Power
    Battery Type Lithium-Ion 8-cell 4300mAh or
    Lithium-Ion 12-cell 6450mAh
    Battery Life 2.5 - 3 hours with 8-cell battery
    4 hours with 12-cell battery

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

well seeing how the laptop has
    FireWire/IEEE-1394 Port optional if you got that option you may want to try hooking up the extenal drive through the firewire to rule out the possibility of the USB2.. Thats if your external enclosure supporte firewire (most do)

14. brobear

brobear Guest

While doing the rip with DVD Decrypter, I believe I would run Task Manager and watch the system usage. Take BBmayos advice on checking to make sure the USB to the external drive is functioning properly. I didn't notice what burner software is being used. Nero has a drive test. If you don't have it, you can download the trial. The utilities may be handy. SiSoftware's Sandra Lite (free) is a good test app as well. http://www.sisoftware.net You can check the drives individually to see if the optical drives are the problem or if something in the system is breaking down or incapable of handling the load.

15. adult33

adult33 Guest

Guys ive used a bit of everyones information to help , then i went to backup my core movie and it said it was going to take 7 hours and 25 minutes ! Isaid oh hell no ! Time to formatt this hard drive Oh i did ! did a spyware check it noticed 55 things before i formatted the drive and when ever i opend up shrink and backed up a file , my routers lights went spaz ! well Whats the possiblility of taking 9 hours to encode and back up a movie if some one else is pulling the file as i do it ! could be ! well im looking at the core at 10% with 1 hour and ten minutes , this seems much better now ! Thanks for all your help ! AND once i get the bigger drive i bought off of e bay and the mem ill be looking at one gig or ramm ! then i will use everyones descriptions to a higher level ! Thanks guys you all rule !

16. adult33

adult33 Guest

Now if someone knows some killer spyware program ! besides getting an eval , or a packet sniffer or killer firewall with a good gui ! I would be interested in anything some one has to say ! I am going to set up a linux box with 2 nics for a router instead of a Liksys router ! i always felt an O/S router over a hardware router would be key ! im working on that as we speak ! Some one got through the linksys router and reacked havovk on my internal ftp server , man it happend over night , well i took a nap while putting up the ftp and waited until the next day t finish it up ! Got Killed , oh well i know this isnt a network constructed message board ! i just wanted to get it off my chest ! lol sorry
    But 20 % encoded movie in less that 2 hours when it took 1 hour to get 7 % last night , much better

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Glad your happy, but 2 hours is still a long time :) To long for me anyway. Have you tried ripping the movie to your HD with Decrypter first?

Also I have a Netgear router for protection and have never been hacked into yet.. Spyware is completly different though. That comes normally from proggys downloaded where they then infect your registry and put cookies into your system that are a byach to get rid of. So it would be a good idea to get a good spyware protection proggy.. heres a good link for ya http://www.download.com/Get-rid-of-spyware/1200-2023_4-5127975.html?tag=dir

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Ad Aware SE, and Spybot are 2 top adware and spyware programs. They're free and contain no ads or spyware of their own. Another good one is Spysweeper by Webroot. Spysweeper gives you one complete up to date sweep for free. It takes a subscription to stay up to date with Spysweeper. The freebie stays effective for some time.

I went with the retail Ad Aware Pro and took the subscription for the Spysweeper, Spybot is an excellent freebie. With all 3 programs and the Norton Internet Security suite, I've been able to fend off most attacks. (McAfee is another good retail app.) Any virus that has made it into the system has been picked off almost immediately. I prefer the Norton firewall and my added security over the Windows system (which I have disabled to prevent conflicts). The virus scan should be scheduled to run a full scan once a week and the cleaners should be run at least every 2 weeks, if not more often. It depends on surfing habits and how open the PC is.

Keeping the system clean is important to DVD recording. Seems those viruses really mess with recording programs. One can talk about viruses because they do relate to backup problems.