1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6 piece documentary to be burned on DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by PMeya, Apr 22, 2005.

1. PMeya

PMeya Member

Hey guys,

I have a 6-piece documentary in .avi's thatb I want to burn on a DVD. Each avi is between 300 and 350 MB but when I want to convert them with TMPGEnc, the file size will be around 4,5 GB EACH...how can I convert them to make all 6 fit on one DVD? I know it should be possible, i've done similar things with Nero Vision Express but didn't quite like the results..and the options available. I want to use TMPGEnc now and later the TMPG DVD Author...should i create 6 4.5 GB MPEGS and later use the authoring prog to fit them on the DVD?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot already!!!

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

1) make 6 mpegs (VCD MPEG-1 should be enough)
    2) author the 6 VCD movies into a DVD, using DVD Lab

The main problem of many authoring applications is that they try to convert each movie into a 720x480/576 DVD MPEG-2 VOB. DVD Lab is the only one I know to leave them 'as they are' (since DVD players can play VCD movies, converting the movies isn't needed and is usually just a loss of room in the disc without gain in the final quality, if the input movie isn't a 'perfect DVD rip').

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  3. PMeya

PMeya Member

Hey aldaco12,

thanks a lot!

Just to get things straight: I use TMPEnc to generate the MPEG's, right? No matter if they 4.5 GB large?

4. PMeya

PMeya Member

OK, my MPEG2 licence in TMPGEnc free expired anyways. I managed to convert one avi to a MPEG2 720x576 PAL. Is about 2 GB big. Could I, if i decided to do so, do this another 5 times and have 12 GB of video data and tell DVD Author to compress and burn it on one DVD?

If I don't do it with MPEG2 but MPEG1 instead, video size will only about 500-600 MB per video but only at 320x?? something. Is that OK? Would you say that i don't gain quality from converting to MPEG2 if the input avis are not perfect themselves?

One last thing: 2 or 3 of the avis are xvid's, the others are divx. I cannot open the xvids in TMPGEnc, the divx work. I have a xvid codec to play the avis with every player i have, work without probs. It's just that TMPGEnc won't deal with 'em...what do i need to make that work??

THANKS A LOT guys!

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

What "aldaco12" is suggesting is that you encode the Files to "VCD" format and then use DVDLab to author the VCD Files to DVD...

The VCD Format is 100% DVD Compliant Accept that the audio needs to be 48000hz and Not 44100hz like in VCD Files...And there is No way you are going to be able to fit all 6 of those Files on a Single DVD if you encode it to Mpeg-2 at 720+480 but if you encode it to Mpeg-1/2 at 352+240 and with a Bitrate about 1500kbs then you will be able to Fit about 6 hours of Video on a Single DVD-R with better than VCD quality.....

And to get the XviD files to open in tmpgenc you can try a couple of things ..First try going to "options" to "Enviromental Settings" to "Vfapi Plugins" and Raise the "Direct Show File Reader" to "2" and then try to load the XviD files into Tmpgenc...If that doesn"t work Try installing the "FFDShow Decoder" and Configure it to Decode XviD files and then your problem should be Solved....

Cheers

6. PMeya

PMeya Member

OK; thanks a lot! By now, I have replaced my xvid codec with the one from the download section and now it works!

however, as you can read here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/185057 , some problems remain. the first one is fixed, i used virtual dub and be sweet to work on the audio and tmpgenc to put it all back together as mpeg. the output file is allright now. for the other one, i have no clue. i plays perfectly as xvid avi but doesn't have a vieo stream after being converted to MPEG. audio works. i have tried all my encoders (tmpgenc, cinema craft encoder, tmpg xpress, xillisoft) but no one works.the ones with a preview menu didn't allow me to play the avi when loaded into the program at all.

what's wrong there? plays in WMP and other players but not when loaded into an encoder as an avi still?

I'm really counting on you guys out there...