1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

60 or 120 HZ Refresh rate?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by janlafata, Nov 3, 2009.

1. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

I'm getting closer to buying my first ever flat panel TV. I cannot afford a lot and have pretty much already decided to stay below $900, if I can.

I'm no super technical person but I don't mind paying a little more if i think it's something that might make a big difference in viewing. I don't necessarily have to have the most super-perfect picture out there, just something decent.

Having said that I was at BestBuy and the guy told me to at least stick with 120 Hz as a refresh rate. This is on a 42 inch LG LCD listed for $899. However Sears has a 42 inch LG LCD wit a 60 Hz refresh rate for $699.

How much am I going to notice the difference? I know it's a different model too and that will make a difference, but I just want to know how much difference that higher refresh rate makes.

2. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

Usually, I don't listen to anyone "working" at Best Buy, because most of them have very little knowledge of what they're selling (at least where I am living). Usually they will tell you to "buy this, it's better", but they don't say why, because they don't know why.

However in this case, I would go with the 120Hz refresh rate. I notice a lot smoother picture on a 120Hz TV. When you have a 1080p/24 source, 120Hz usually looks better because of 24 fps films or 30 or 60 fps video, that all divide evenly into the refresh rate of the display so you no longer need to use 3:2 pulldown.

I'd be surprised if you notice a lot of difference between 240Hz and 120Hz, but I say you will between 60Hz and 120Hz.

3. dailun

dailun Active member

60Hz 120Hz argument - 120Hz if I could afford it.

As much as I'll probably get flamed for this, I would rather have a 60Hz TV with a 5 yr. extended warranty than a 120Hz TV without one if this were my first $900.00 TV and I planned on it lasting 5 yrs.

That having been said, I purchased an "Open box" Samsung Series 6 46" 120Hz and with the 5 year extended it was less than a new one with only Samsung's 1 yr. warranty.

These things break, and when they're out of warranty, very expensive to fix.

JMHO.

4. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

Ok that makes sense about the refresh rate..next question then...Should I pay someone like BestBuy to set this thing up for me? I actually think I can do it and it would save $100. I'm no idiot, and I do build my own PC's and know some video technology, but this is my first flat screen, so I'm wondering if it's worth it.

By the way...do most of these flat panels have the option for photo plugs for use with the DVD? I won't be able to use a DVD with an HDMI cable , probably for awhile.

5. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

I mean phono plugs not photo

6. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

Never pay someone to set up a TV, especially Best Buy's Geek Squad. They charge an arm and a leg, for something that you can do in 2 minutes if you just read the manual.

Honestly, not that hard to setup a TV. Take it out of the box, read the instructions to attatch the stand (propbably won't need to read it), plug in the power cable to tv and outlet, connect video/game sources through inputs (HDMI, Component, RCA, etc.) on TV, plug in the power for those sources, place the sources on a stand (if available, if not place it wherever your want, untangle and tuck/string wires together so they can't be seen, and your set. Pretty strait forward.

If you build your own PC's, then you definitely have the knowledge to setup a TV on your own. Even someone who isn't tech savvy, can setup a TV by themselves, even if the don't read the manual.

Almost all flat panel TV's have at least one phono (RCA) input. I haven't seen one that hasn't. This one should have it. If your DVD player has an HDMI output, then connect it to your TV with an HDMI cable. If not, use component. If not component, then you have no other choice then to use phono (RCA).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  7. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

Great!...Thanks for all of your advice.

8. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

Oh one more thing...Have you heard anything good or bad about the LG brand?

9. dailun

dailun Active member

LG is first or second tier, depending on whether you own one or not <G>.

Unless you're really strapped on a budget or a gambler, the brands I would stay away from are:

Olevia
    Insignia
    Vizio

I am very happy with my Sony and Samsung. If I hadn't bought Sony or Samsung Sharp or LG, Hitachi or Toshiba would have been my next choice.

I bought a Westinghouse for my ex-wife. (I don't know what that means <G>)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  10. memphissh

memphissh Member

no point in paying for installation....on a tv stand..
    you're essentially paying a premium for someone to use twisty ties on your wires ....