1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$600 This a good deal?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ryanmcf, Dec 14, 2009.

1. ryanmcf

ryanmcf Member

Im pretty intrested in this computer but ive been out of the pc building scene for awhile. Currently have a p4 3.0 from 2004

2. ryanmcf

ryanmcf Member

Code:
    http://bend.craigslist.org/sys/1514358283.html
    Figured id bump this since its still forsale on craigslist. Just give me an idea if its a good deal for what it is

3. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Depends on what your needing. The major concern to me is the ASUS mobo. For $600 seems pretty descent, but I would see if you couldnt get them down to $500.

4. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I have doubts about the memory and the mainboard as far as quality and reliability go...6 months is about the time that parts from these brands start to die. Still, it seems like a decent deal. The seller clearly has no idea what he/she is talking about, so it is a bit hard to determine what you have.

I do notice that it includes windows XP pro, 4Gb system ram, and 896MB video ram. This is a problem, as XP can only support a maximum of 4GB total memory...thats everything from the cache on the CPU to the memory on the video card; nearly 1GB of memory will be waisted by this outdated OS. Ignoring the fact that the OS is outdated, worthless trash, there is a good chance that it is pirated. Make sure it includes a license, unless you intend to format it right away.

I also notice that it says it includes 2 printers; both of these are part of Microsoft Office...so I would find out if it includes a license for office, and if so, what version.

Note: Just because office or windows are installed & working, this does not mean that they have legal licenses; check to make sure that everything is legit, otherwise you might as well pirate it yourself.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Probably comes with pirate software. CPU is pretty slow. The only things worth harvesting from that system would be the PSU and graphics card, which you can get for a mere fraction of $600.