1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

64 bit processor

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Schwaber, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

hello again everyone. I have a few questions that I would like to ask. If say, I want to upgrade my 32 bit processor to 64bit, can I, alone do it? Or do I need to ask experts to come over my house and do it for me? The reason why I want to upgrade is because my pc is more than capable of my current one(32bit). I just recently found out about that. It would be a waste if I don't use my computer to its full potential right?

Here' a pic of what it says about my computer:

[​IMG]

by the way, is this free? Cuz, I might not upgrade if it isn't free. LOL, yea, i know, Am a cheap skate.

2. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

Oh yah, I forgot. I saw a site where u can download Windows XP 2007 Vista Edition, and I wanna ask if its worth downloading? Am really afraid that once I upgrade, it won't really work. Or maybe some bugs will run. In addition, can a noob like me uprgrade a system? It feels as if there's too much work. But I really want to try Vista though.

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you won't be upgrading your processor, you'd be upgrading your OS to work with the full capability of a 64-bit processor. xp 64-bit edition wasn't worth it to most people.

and now you're asking us for advice on pirating windows vista? most people here may hate it, but you're a member and should know the rules on that one.

if you want vista, go out and buy it. 9 out of 10 computer savvy people on this forum will say don't go vista, but if you're still going to, go legit.

there's no real upgrading for you to do. installing a new OS is about as simple as it gets.

4. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

wow, so Vista isn't worth buying then? As u mentioned, 9 out of 10 people in this tech forum won't go to Vista.. I see.

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

oh, they'll probably go eventually, as this world is (unfortunately) microsoft-dependent. however, many will at least invest in another OS as their primary one and save Vista mainly for gaming (about all it's good for now, as Linux and Mac alternatives are proving better).

the point is, very few people want to jump right into Vista while XP is still completely functional and Vista definitely is not.

6. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Vista shmista... there are lots of really good fast and fully working linux 64 bit operating systems out there. Most major distros have one.

Hi Aus.. I like your "eventually" comment.. Most will buy into the rubbish, and be denied use of what belongs to them... but not all of us!!

7. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

haha, thanks guys! I didn't know that Vista isn't complete yet.

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i'll never make the jump. i'm going to run XP into the ground, then switch to something along the lines of Mandriva.

9. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

Ok thanks. I might not switch as well :D

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

unless you're a computer gamer, there's no reason to.

with OS's like xandros, you can still play many windows games on Linux, albeit i don't know how well.

in the end, it will come down to having one rig for Vista and gaming, and either a separate partition or separate computer for everything else.