1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6pin PCIe to 4 pin molex

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by macpegg, Dec 11, 2007.

1. macpegg

macpegg Member

I have installed 2 6800XT Gfx cards that both need extra power connected to them via a 4 pin molex connection.

My PSU has two PCIe leads which i need a converter for so i can plug these into the GFX cards. Converter being Female on the pcie end and a female on the molex side.

I have looked everywhere and can only find these leads on the other way round. Does anyone maybe have any diagrams where i cud possibly follow and diy this myself or does anyone know of any sites within the UK that would supply these cables?

thanks in Advance

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

This is something you would have to solder yourself, I don't think such a connector exists. Would it not be simpler to use extra molex connectors instead?

3. macpegg

macpegg Member

I cud use my other molex connectors but i would obvioulsy would like them freed up. Wudn`t be so bad but the wife will not let me buy a new gfx card. I guess i`ll just have to do soe soldering.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, buy a molex connector splitter then. However, before you do that, which power supply do you have?

5. macpegg

macpegg Member

EZcool 650W

I' rather use the 6 pins that are available.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You'll want to replace that before you attach the new graphics cards. EZ Cool power supplies are absolute trash, and yours could well damage or destroy most of the components in your PC if you power two power-hungry graphics cards off it.

7. macpegg

macpegg Member

Hmm from personel experience its working just fine infact it out lived my enermax which just lasted 13 months and was £40 more expensive, this has lasted 17 months and is still running fine..

This Ezcool was bought cheap for £25 just as a backup untill i bought a better model, but since it aint flagging i`m not in any rush.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's not the point. All PSUs can have issues (and indeed, early Enermax ones were prone to it). Because you're only using about 100W at the moment the EZ Cool can cope, when you up that to 250W with the two graphics cards it'll probably either shut your PC down, or overload, destroying your components. I'm serious. Just because it's working fine now doesn't mean it'll work fine when you add new hardware. You need to replace it AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.