1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.1 analog selector switch (RCA)

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by vaustein2, Sep 20, 2009.

1. vaustein2

vaustein2 Member

Short and sweet: I need an audio selector that switches between two 7.1 channel analog inputs (8 RCA jacks per input).

The rear of my Pioneer receiver has one set of 7.1 channel analog inputs consisting of 8 labeled RCA jacks. The sound cards on my two home theater PCs are connected to the Pioneer via digital optical cable. However, I strongly prefer multi-channel analog input for music and games. The HTPCs' sound cards support 7.1 channel analog output over stereo RCA cables:
    - Auzentech XFi Prelude over 4 generic minijack-to-RCA stereo cables.
    - SB Audigy 2 ZS over Creative brand RCA cables.

I want to switch the inputs to the Pioneer between the XFi and the Audigy. I'm willing to walk over the switch and press a button, since I won't be switching often. I'm even willing to buy four two-way selectors, but I'd really like to avoid the clutter.

Posted in this forum rather than HTPC since the core issue is how to switch 7.1 analog audio signals from two devices. I could be talking about two very old DVD players instead of two HTPCs.

Help appreciated!

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I would really like to know why you prefer the analog multi channel hook up as opposed to digital...what advantage do you think there is over an optical or coax digital connection?

i really doubt you're going to find a 2 way 8 channel RCA switcher. my recommendation is to make one. if you have very basic mechanical skills you can do it. get yourself two 4 way double throw (4PDT) switches, a small project box, 4 stereo RCA cables, an 8 connector female RCA post, and some 18 gauge hook up wire. if you are interested in doing this i can draw you up a schematic. costs will probably be about $20.

but like i said, i first would like to know why you prefer analog hookup first...

3. JVC

JVC Active member

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

oh of course I understand that aspect...I have over 1000 records and a bunch of 1/4" reel to reel tapes (from my studio recording days) because I love analog so much. but if you notice he said he uses a digital connection for one input, but prefers analog for another, so i just wanted to know why he wants analog just for that one type of input.

its funny i saw that same switcher, but $300 is pretty crazy just for that. you could build one yourself for less that $20 worth of parts. just two 4 pole switches, a project box, and some connectors.

5. vaustein2

vaustein2 Member

I bought two cheap Philips brand component (not composite) AV switches from Wal-Mart and four pairs of stereo RCA cables. I used the component and composite video jacks as audio I/O jacks. The trickiest part was keeping tracki of inputs and outputs on the switches themselves. Worked perfectly, though, and all for under $50!

@djscoop. Two words: EAX modes. Cool Creative EAX settings sound *much* better over analog than SPDIF. Note that Creative EAX only supports analog output; over digital, the receiver is forced to up-mix unless the source is already encoded as DD or DTS. Game audio is far more intense, and music is fuller and richer with the exception of true Dolby- or DTS-encoded tracks, e.g. DVD audio.

To the question "Why not use Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect?", the answer is:
    1) Both max out at 5.1. The receiver still has to up-mix channels 6 and 7, which are the surround back/rear speakers of a 7.1 setup.
    2) To me, DDL and DTSC sound no different from any stereo source output over SPDIF and up-mixed via the Dolby Pro Logic 2 or DTS:Neo modes built into my receiver. YMMV.

W/ multichannel analog + Creative EAX, you also get Creative's proprietary CMSS-3D up-mixing modes, which compare well with Dolby PL2, DTS:Neo, and my Pioneer's excellent DSP modes.