1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.1 Speaker placement with limited space help needed

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by neonfire, Aug 8, 2007.

1. neonfire

neonfire Member

I just got an Onkyo SR800 7.1 channel home theater system and I'm having trouble with placement of the surround speakers.

The problem is I only have about 18 inches from the back wall to my ears
    and the back wall is only 12 feet long so I'd imagine the conventional setup will not work.

What can I do to compensate for the lack of space?

2. JVC

JVC Active member

7.1 systems are really meant for big rooms. You may be happier with 5.1 setup for now, and put extra two speakers in the closet, until needed.

Actually, it doesn't matter too much if the speakers are only two inches from your head. If you use an SPL meter to calibrate your speakers, the speakers can be anywhere.

To calibrate speakers correctly, the volume (speaker levels) of each speaker is exactly the same, in the sweet spot (your sitting position). That way, no speaker overpowers another. If you have some speakers closer to you than others, the volume (level) on the closer speakers will be lower than the others, but still be the same in the sweet spot, because they're closer. See what I mean? Some folks set the level for the center channel, just a touch louder than the others, so when people whisper in a movie, they can hear it (about 90%-95% of the voices, come through the center channel).
    I'd still use a 5.1 setup though, if the room isn't big.
    Good luck!