1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

720p and 1080i on Blu ray

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by zippy255, May 26, 2006.

1. zippy255

zippy255 Guest

If I dont have a 1080p hdtv will i be able to watch bluray on 1080i and 720p...My tv has hdmi with hdcp

2. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

yes but the highest resolution you will be able to view movies in will be 1080i which is still great picture

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Remember that there is no diffrennce in resolution between a 1080i video frame and a 1080p video frame.

Ced

4. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

Not in resolution but 1080p picture is better because it's progressive scanned.It's no secret that many prefer 720p over 1080i much less 1080p.

@zippy255 yes in fact you could play bluray on a 480i tv it just won't be 1080p it will be 480i because that's what the tv is limited to.Which isn't really bluray's fault. You dig?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

6. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

Ive seen that thread before.Someone posted it on the ps3 section.I already addressed it.

Of coarse with film content(right now) 1080i and 1080p it may look the same and since were talking bluray I guess it doesn't matter.Yeah I have a wiki search in my firefox(nifty ,you can get one at mozilla site)and I saw many of those links before that thread too because I was lookin for a hdtv.But when 1080p turns into 60fps that's when you'll notice the difference just like 720p was not limited to 30fps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720p

See many prefer 720p over 1080i when things like motion are active.It's like when 720p first came out it was limited much like 1080p is today and people said the same thing about 720i vs.720p but now look nobody disagrees that 720p is simply better than 720i.

In fact most newer tv's don't even have the 720i option anymore they just go strait to 1080i.The same thing is going to happen with 1080i they won't even make it an option eventually.
    The same with 480i they market 480p as "edtv" despite it not being any higher res because it's that much crisper.Same w/ progressive dvd player's.

Your links are good for now but I wouldn't put stock in that in the future.There is a reason people are making a big deal about 1080p.

gamming is a little different because it's not limited like in in film content and 1080p is simply better in this catagory.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Well that was the focus of the thread, 1080p movies. I have said that 1080p@60fps is the supreme resolution and the eventual goal or the industry. But "Films" with still be shot at 24fps even when 1080p60 is in full swing.

Like I said in that thread, all tvs techs other than the CRT are classified as FPDs and are inherently progressive scan. 720i really doesn't make since when most TV sets that have 1280x720 pixels are FPDs.

EDTV is SDTV on a FPD. Since the tv will always have 720x480+ pixels active, interlaced matirial doesn't make since. But then again most 480p content is derived from 480i movies on DVD which is again my entire point.

-----------

I don't know if its just me but I love my CRT. Its small but its calibrated and hooked up with non-free-in-the-box cables. I even got a entry level clean power filter. I don't have the best equipment but I have a damn good picture. I haven't seen an EDTV that could impress me as much as my 8 year old tube yet, regardless of how much action is on the screen!

Keep it comin',
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2006
  8. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

Good stuff you been posting ced.Good thread .

I hope someday films will be shot at high framerates but I guess it doesn't matter cause Higher frames don't mean anything for movies but for games... well I won't get into it lol..

By the way about the crt.I kinda like my flat panel pc monitor better because it takes less space and uses less energy(you would think).But I still have a tube tv in the living room.I can't afford a big hdtv right now.That's how I found so much out about all this cause I was being cheap and wanted to research it lol.