1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

720p any good?

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by caktus, Apr 22, 2010.

1. caktus

caktus Member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  2. john_jaxs

john_jaxs Member

For basically $280 you should be able to find a 1080p that would be good for your ps3, best advice keep looking until you find one that fits your needs.

Websites that I use (does not charge tax where I live, also usually free shipping on some items):

Newegg.com
    Chiefvalue.com
    tigerdirect.com

Also check out bigger name websites like (will most likely charge tax & shipping):

Amazon
    Bestbuy
    Buy.com
    K-Mart
    Sears

Also not exactly sure what your looking for in a t.v, but also Walmart has some 1080Ps cheaper then that 720p.

3. john_jaxs

john_jaxs Member

I have to admit that I do not have that much knowledge on what makes a t.v good or bad, but without to much looking and on tigerdirect I found this T.V (just an example I do not know if this fits your needs):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4633272&CatId=3647

They only charge tax in FL, IL, and NC, also it should qualify for free shipping as long as your order stays under 25lbs.

I do not know if this fits your needs or if it is good or bad, so do some checking and some other members should be able to help you better then I really can.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  4. me5

me5 Member

In my opinion no, if you got the money to burn then why not. Otherwise 720p is enough. After 720 you really dont see much of an improvment as you do when you go from SDTV to HD. I have an older pioneer and a panasonic 42-50" and both are 720p though I bought screens I didnt want to waste money on tuners and speakers. Tuners come with STBs and you probably better off putting that money into a good surround sound rather then the extra resolution. Besides, I'm sure the newer 720 look even better then mine and mine looks great in HD, I even use to connect to my PC and watch DL movies through it. Try to get 120H set. That will also help you out and in my opinion dont waste money on 3d its more hype they its worth. Other then sporting events like world cup theres really no content and not going to be much as they actually have to record things with 2 cameras and I can just imagine then shooting a IMAX in 3d, must be expensive. What i really forgot was that the costs are mainly in the glasses and its fine if you're a loner but if you got a family of 5 everyone will have to watch the movie seperate or you're gonna spend more on glasses then on the TV.

5. rylai17

rylai17 Member

I agree. I have a 42" and burned a movie on a 1080p and 720p to see if there is a big difference on the resolution. well, the result is no. there is only a little difference. So for me i would stick to 720p and keep your $300 =)

6. JohnRocks

JohnRocks Member

No doubt. It is better and worth as you want to get it. Thanks for it.

7. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

Apparently there is no videophiles in here.. I can certainly tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

If the t.v is at least 24 inches go for a 1080p t.v.

8. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

is the TVs viewing diameter large than or equal to 1920x1080 if not then 720P is fine.

if your one of those that must have the best and got the cash to blow, go all out.

9. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Look at the current offering of your TV lineup, how many channels on your settop box are actually 1080 instead of 720? Here in the Carolinas, on TimeWarner Cable, about 1/3 of the HD Channels are 1080, the rest are 720.

10. Adrian147

Adrian147 Member

In my opinion a 720p input display is only suitable for TV's under 22". I own a 22" 1080p TV and it looks somewhat squashed into the display area, however when I use 720p the image is alot better. So if the tv is bigger than 22" go for the 1080p.