1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$8.00 mod chip?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by gameover9, Mar 17, 2009.

1. gameover9

gameover9 Guest

I have been told that there is a mod chip for the GC for only $8 or so and it works perfect. Anyone know which chip this may be or if it's even true. Thought I read it on here somewhere.

2. onya

onya Guest

Perhaps you did or perhaps you didn't. The very thought of an eight dollar chip...starts to ring my alarm bells. Can you imagine a bogus company advertising those goods, then waiting till the heat was on then skipping town? The old adage "if it's too good to be true, then it most probably is"

Do more research and then make the decision. After all ...it's your money.

Cheers.

3. gameover9

gameover9 Guest

The thing is, it seems impossible to do the softmod method anymore. Correct? You can't get the necessary tools? Media launcher, etc? If the chip is my only option, can you point me in the right direction?

4. MarvelFtW

MarvelFtW Member

I just ordered a media launcher. Why do you say its doesnt work any more?

5. gameover9

gameover9 Guest

where did you get it? How much?

6. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Xeno GC w/ wire are like $8 + $4 shipping (bout 2 week shipping) from asia.

Seen other places like 14$ + s/h + wire too.

I always buy 20+ same chips at once n get then cheaper.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  7. gameover9

gameover9 Guest

wow 20 chips, what do you need so many for? Can I use the same dvds as camcorders? I have never sodered before, is it easy? Where do I get a soder gun and kit?

8. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

I did a bit of modding, i still do but mainly PS2 n some Wii now, and some PSP Leds mod. Been pretty lazy though.

Use 15W soldering iron, idk where you are, I just buy them from radioshack. Install chips into a GC is really easy compared to most other system. You may want to get some desoldering (I use wick) in case you want to remove some solder though. GC takes Mini-DVDs, which is what some camcorder uses. You can use cheaper full size dvds, if cut/make it fit a dvd in the slot, or buy a case (Viper/IcedCube) which allows full size dvds in the slot.

9. dcxbadass

dcxbadass Member

I bought the XenoGC for $8 + about $4 postage, it worked fine and came with wires and everything.

10. gameover9

gameover9 Guest

Yeah, I got mine ordered. Never sodered before so I will be learning. Pretty cheap to play backups. I am assuming I have to adjust the pot, did you?

11. jmjohnson

jmjohnson Member

Why did it come w/ wires? XenoGC is wireless. I just bought two from eurasia.nu for $15+$4 s/h took about 3 weeks to arrive but works great with a little pot tweaking :) No wires were included (or needed) by the way. I guess I bought the last of them because a couple days after I ordered eurasia removed them from the online shop.. They still have the DuoQ though.

12. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

you have the options of using wires or no wires... using wires is easier to remove, but not much. also most places don't think about it, they just add wire to all chips because sometimes some chips are semi wire, while some points uses wires. They don't think about it.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  13. ADNUP

ADNUP Member

Hi - Any links to a $8 chip? Best I can find is $18 + $8 shipping

TIA ADNUP

14. jmjohnson

jmjohnson Member

I think that's the best price your gonna find right now from a reputable seller anyways.. mod-chip.com right? It's worth it to get it from there anyway, they have incredibly fast shipping.

15. ADNUP

ADNUP Member

Yeah mod-chip.com. Whats the difference between V1 & V2? is it worth the $5?

16. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

V2 support multigame disk and have some bug fixes. Pressing start while it is booting gives a menu. The only difference is the code.

17. dcxbadass

dcxbadass Member

I prefer using wires with all my mod chips much easier to see what I'm doing, and easier to sort out if it goes wrong.

I bought mine for $8 from here:
    http://www.psxbox.net/product_370.html

My first was faulty so they sent me a replacement no problems. Anyways, I didn't need to pot mod mine got the chip working but never managed to track down some decent cheap mini dvd's so haven't ever actually used it.