1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8.4GB DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by joeymac, Jun 9, 2004.

1. joeymac

joeymac Member

Hi folks

Tried to shrink this DVD which claimed to be 8.4GB. The shrink sofeware did not appear to be able to compress this file size down or am I not using the software properly. When I was in the shrink software, I deleted some of the files then it copied. I dont understand why the original DVD could be 8.4 when the copy DVD was 4.7 or is this something manufacturers can do or do they have special squeeze programs to cope with this?

2. carpki

carpki Guest

You don't say what software you are using to backup your DVD with, however you do seem to use the word 'shrink' a lot, therefore I presume you are using DVDShrink to backup your movies.
    A handy guide for using DVDShrink can be found on this site:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

I recommend that if you are not already using this program that you download it via this site. Its free and easy to use.

3. brian100

brian100 Guest

joeymac

Commercially available DVD's are pressed onto dual layer DVD, hence they can hold twice the content of a normal single layer DVD-r (But dual layer burners and media are on the market now!)

I do not use Shrink as a compression tool, I believe (but i'm here to be proved wron!) that shrink has an upper level of file size it can cope with. Normally using shrink in "re-author" mode will allow you to strip away extras & unwanted sound tracks to reduce that file size.

4. joeymac

joeymac Member

Thanks to Karpki - I am using the software you mentioned with Nero as the writing software.

Brian 100 - Again thanks, I assummed the original DVD was compiled using a different system than is currently commonly available. I would like to appologise for my ignorance but like you I am happy to answer what may appear to be stupid questions when I am approached regarding 'simple'I.T. questions. As I suspected when I looked at DVD writng it is in many ways very different from C.D. burning.

Kindest regards to all who replied

Carpe Diem

Joe.

5. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You should read some of the help threads. You are basically trying to copy a dual layer DVD (DVD-9) onto a single layer blank disc (DVD-5). Therefore you must shrink the files first in order to do this. DVD Shrink will allow you to back up the entire disc or re-author the files to movie only. There is a guide thread to using DVD Shrink so if you are still confused I suggest you read it.