1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8800 GT settings questions

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lucasbuck, Dec 7, 2007.

1. lucasbuck

lucasbuck Member

I just got a Samsung LNT-4071F 40" LCD TV (1080P, 120Hz, 25000:1 contrast) and a XFX Alpha Dog 8800 GT (670MHz, 512MB) card. Trying to get the best performance out of it, so I had some questions (and this is all new to me).
    - XP is listing the monitor as a generic running at 60Hz. The TV runs at 120Hz. Do I need to either change the Hz in windows (there isn’t any other Hz listed though), or is there a profile for the TV I can find? I figure since the Samsung has a ‘game mode’ and a computer input that they would have some kind of profile for XP.
    - I’m running a DVI to HDMI cable. Is there anything I need to do to make the image high definition? (A setting or something) Or is it automatically running in HD.
    - Okay, I’ll make this easy. Can anyone tell me what I need to make sure I do to get it running the best it can? Any settings for the TV, video card, or in XP itself that I need to change? Thanks for any advice.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've never heard of a 120Hz LCD TV before, but reading up on it, it obviously exists. The problem is that the TV is in fact only 60Hz, but what you see on the screen is 120Hz. It is the TV doubling the refresh rate, not your PC, so you will only ever be able to give it a 60Hz signal.
    [​IMG]
    The dynamic contrast ratio is bull, Full white will never be even close to 25,000 times the brightness of the black, but that's not for me to comment.
    If you're running a DVI-HDMI cable, you should be able to set the resolution to 1920x1080 (1080p). This is a HD resolution, merely called such because it's a high number of pixels. There's no High definition 'setting' if you like. (The joke is of course, that PC monitors can go higher than high definition).
    If your PC is connected to the TV (which will probably show up as generic since you're using an adapter cable) at 1920x1080, 60Hz, it's set up right.