1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8800gts models

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jclarkson, Oct 6, 2007.

1. jclarkson

jclarkson Member

ive come accross 2 different models of this card and wondered if someone can tell me does the 640mb model play alot better than the 320mb

is it just the memory that seperates them?

2. AXT

AXT Guest

The amount of Video memory a card has mainly determines how good the game will run at a certain resolution. In this case, if you will be running anything smaller than 1600x1200 resolution the 320mb GTS will be just as good as the 640mb GTS. Once resolution increases with increasing monitor size, the performance of the 640mb GTS will be better over the 320mb card.

So the point here is that the amount of video memory a card has is not a good determinant of card performance. What you should be looking at is the Core clock and memory clock (both of which are similar in these two cards and not worth the difference in price) . There are other things to consider, but im not going into the details here.

By the way the HD2900PRO is probably the best bang for the buck and i strongly suggest you look into purchasing one of those instead of either one of those cards. The HD2900PRO with 1GB of GDDR4 is sweet for that price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102707

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2007
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You will want more than 320MB of video memory, I assure you. 512MB is a little on the thin size for high resolution high detail gaming now.