1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8800GTX is the king ?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Navi89, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Navi89

Navi89 Member

This is what I have been reading and hearing. That it's suppose to blow through everything with all the settings maxed. Well, I just got one and it does not blow through oblivion. All the settings maxed, res at 1920x1080. I'm wondering, which is the problem....

A) 8800 GTX can't handle it
    B) the rest of my computer can't handle it
    C) oblivion is just like that

It runs and looks great most of the time, but when I have multiple NPC's on screen it flinches and chokes up. I had a 320mb, and a 640mb, they both had the same problem. I thought a GTX would fix the problem, but it doesn't. My 3D mark score was a bit over 10k. My specs are....

Core 2 Duo E6320 @ 2.4
    8800 GTX
    2gb Patriot DDR2 800
    Asus P5N32-SLI Premium
    Ultra X-Finity 600w SLI Certified PSU

I was perfectly happy with even the 320mb, but got the GTX cause I wanted to play oblivion smooth. Help me figure this out. Is my CPU not enough? Do I need a 680i board? Whats the problem here?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

your 3dmark is OK, you could try upping your processor speed a bit more. Oblivion will never run smooth on any graphics card perfectly, but at 1920x1080 with a GTX you should be doing well. I think perhaps you've found a part of the game that just can't be run at max.

Post updated 1051 BST
    After discussing the matter with pcrepair we came to the conclusion that there's something else choking your system up. I can play the game at the same settings you do and didn't experience many issues at all. Are you certain your overclock is stable? It's not exactly high but you may want to try changing it just to see if that has an effect.
    Also, what are you running in the background? Oblivion's quite memory intensive so it may be wise to use less programs or consider more RAM.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  3. Navi89

Navi89 Member

Do you really think it's the CPU? I tried to up it some more, it doesn't want to go much higher. I'm using stock paste and fan. I haven't touched the voltages, primarily cause I don't know how. I see all the different voltage options in the BIOS but theres like 5+ different voltage settings. Which is the right one?

Why can people with less than what I have run it with no problems? Something is wrong. My OC is stable, never have any problems what so ever. When I play oblivion I have nothing running in the background. Only what the pc needs running. My CPU usage before playing oblivion is like 1%. Do you really think I need more ram? That doesn't make sense to me. True, it's not OCZ ram, but it's still good ram, 2gb of DDR2 800.

I'm currently using a 47" Westinghouse w/ 1080p. Does this make a difference? I thought maybe it's to big to run properly. Or it's response time isn't good enough. Is 6.5ms too slow? It plays every single other game beautifully. Only oblivion gives me trouble.

I pretty much built this system for oblivion specifically, I spent alot of money so I can play this stupid game perfectly and it's not running properly. At this point I am frustrated and heart broken. I put alot of my time and energy into building this computer and this game will not run properly.

Fellow gamers and oblivion players, please help me figure out what the problem is.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't play Oblivion all that much so my experience is limited, but I can do the generic stuff:
    Have you updated your drivers?
    Have you tried reinstalling the game?
    These simple things are all too often overlooked. Your monitor won't affect this issue.

5. Navi89

Navi89 Member

I'm not sure if it's oblivion, hardware, or software problem. Drivers are current. MOBO bios are current. Game was re-installed last night. OS was re-installed the other day.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Current though they may be, have you tried a different version?

7. smeagol75

smeagol75 Guest

Hello,

My PC:
    I have a Sony VAIO VGC RA-710G (Liquid Cooled, Runs Silent); P4 3.2 EE/HT, 3GB PC3200 RAM, ATI 1600XT 512MB GDDR 3, Vista Ultimate 32-Bit, Seagate 500GB 16MB Burst Internal (Ultra ATA) @ 7200RPM, Hitachi Deskstar 250GB Internal @ 7200RPM, Western Digital 750GB External @ 7200RPM, Sony DVD/CD DL R/RW +/-, LG DVD/CD R/RW +/- Lightscribe, Logitech G15 (Keyboard Illuminates and has a small LCD Screen), Bose Companion 5 5.1 Dolby Digital USB Speakers, Acer AL 2216W 22" WS LCD Screen and a Power Supply of 350:

I have been playing Oblivion for quite some time. I think I have like 178 completed quests. I have the ALL of the add ons to include the new Isles quest. My system doesn't snap at all. It runs at about 55-60 FPS and has never froze, crashed or anything in that regard. It is without a doubt the best RPG out there regarding STABILITY! However, I do NOT have everything maxed out, probably 95% max and run a resolution of 1280x1024. With the settings at 95% max and runs smooth, I'm very happy! Good Luck!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In that case, an 8800GTX not being able to play it definitely indicates a problem.
    I'm doubting 95% of max, since at max with 8x AF and HDR, an X1600XT only manages 5.4fps in Oblivion lol.
    The 8800GTX on the other hand gets 43.6.
    At 1920x1200, the 8800GTX still gets a reasonable 28.7, compared to my 14.5 and the X1600XT's 3.0.

9. smeagol75

smeagol75 Guest

Don't know what you are looking at, but the FPS indicator in Oblivion says 60 in the open and 55 in the cities. When the screen is packed with NPC's it may drop to 45 FPS. So I have NO idea what you are talking about...

10. Navi89

Navi89 Member

Are you saying try older drivers or bios?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You're probably not running maximum settings then.
    I was referring to Graphics drivers by the way.

12. smeagol75

smeagol75 Guest

Are you using the ATI Catalyst 7.6?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I doubt it, he has an 8800GTX.

14. Navi89

Navi89 Member

I tried 2 older drivers, no luck.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's bizarre, and it doesn't do it in any other games?
    Have you looked to see if there's an update patch for oblivion?

16. AlphaGod

AlphaGod Member

Yeah, get the latest patches for Oblivion then try again.

Their were a lot of bug fixes and memory leaks fixed since 1.0 =/

Also, it could be the fact you are mounting the ISO, so update Daemon Tools, but if your not, don't worry about it

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mmm, and if you do get it running properly, I believe there's a 'make it pretty' patch that fixes the rubbishy outdoor graphics.

18. Navi89

Navi89 Member

I'm currently using the latest patch for the shivering isles. And no, I do not have any problems with any other games. I was playing ghost recon 2 last night and it looked and played beautifully. Only oblivion gives my problems. Which is funny cause oblivion is truly the only game I have an itch to play.

BTW - I know of the "pretty patch". It's called quarls texture pack. I already have it, but have not installed it cause I can't seem to get the game working properly as it is.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, dunno then. Not heard of this bug before.